pied x penguin possible outcomesl

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
aefaubl
Pip
Pip

pied x penguin possible outcomesl

Post by aefaubl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:44 pm

Hi,
My pied zebra finch clock and penguin hen have 4 chicks. What colors are possible from this combination?
Thanks,
Amy

ApricotMuffins
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: pied x penguin possible outcomesl

Post by ApricotMuffins » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:08 pm

Both pied and penguin are recessive.

Assuming your pied isn't split for a sex-linked mutation such as fawn, all your chicks should be gray split for penguin and pied. Since they will be split for pied, you might have a few chicks who have small patches of white feathers where normally there would not be any (under the chin, along the wing, inside a cheek patch etc).

aefaubl
Pip
Pip

Post by aefaubl » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:34 pm

Thank you for your answer. The father is pied. His parents are grey normals. Do not know what the female penguin parents look like.
Amy

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:34 pm

aefaubl -- The typo in your post gave me a chuckle:

....[a] pied zebra finch clock and penguin.....

That, taken alone, is a funny combo! A clock + a penguin = :-\

Agreed with above; you'll have split to penguin and pied. If you were to mate the dad with a split to pied offspring, you could get pied. I believe the term is back-crossing.
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:32 am

when breeding penguin and pied you are actually introducing a mutation into the line that will distort and ruin the penguin line. Pied works against penguin by removing orange in the penguin offspring males and you hen offspring will carry it. If trying to use the young from that combination back to penguin you may have difficulty regaining the lines again. Pied is stubborn to get rid of once introduced into a line. I would personally avoid it unless you want males that have no cheeks or flanks.

http://www.efinch.com/species/pengzeb.htm

The main thing to keep in mind when thinking of combining other mutations with the Penguin mutation is that the Penguin's appeal lies in the pattern. Any mutation that is contrary to that pattern will often spoil the appearance of the Penguin. This includes Pieds, Florida Fancies, CFW, Fawn Cheek and of course Whites. I also do not think that combination with dilute varieties will offer much to the Penguin and these include Dominant Silver, Recessive Silver and Lightback. Two other mutations to consider would be the Black Face and Black Cheek mutation. While I have not seen the combination of BF and Penguin, I believe that the Penguin mutation would suppers all of the features of the Black Face. The combination of Black Cheek and Penguin results in the BC features being suppressed. (See below)

penguin pied... this is a male, the pied removed the cheeks and flanking (this was bought by me yrs ago and not used in my penguin line but used for his crest... because he carried and showed pied and his line ruined he was considered pied and removed from the penguin breeding line)
10-9 penguin split 2.jpg
http://www.efinch.com/species/piedzeb.htm
It should not be combined with white mutations, except for the all White, or pattern mutations like the Penguin. The white blotches of the Pied mutation when combined with white mutations like CFW, Florida Fancy or Fawn Cheek tend to ruin the effect of the orange markings on the white body. The dilute varieties like Dominant Silver also do not offer the contrast needed to make a very attractive combination

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:12 am

When I crossed a pied and a penguin a few years ago, I ended up with extra ordinary pretty pieds. They were beautiful. They had the best of both worlds. I still remember the tailfeathers had distinct black stripes.
Marius

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:20 am

yes you will get normal split to pied but if you were to use those offspring in a future penguin line the pied will be passed to the young and your line will be flawed. Depends on your goal, if you want a pure penguin line never introduce pied. If you don't have a specific goal in mind and just want to pied then go for it.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

aefaubl
Pip
Pip

Post by aefaubl » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback. There are actually 5 babies and they are getting quite big. My two birds chose each other, I am just excited to see the outcome. I will post pictures for those curious once they get their adult colors.
Amy