What am I going to get?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
keijikage
Pip
Pip

What am I going to get?

Post by keijikage » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:06 pm

I've always been terrible at identifying the mutations - never really quite sure what's the difference between a run of the mill grey, as everything on efinch.com looks really similar to me.

I've got a set of juveniles that I'm trying to figure out what they might be - the lighter brown one came out of the egg pink (but its skin tone quickly darkened up!) whereas the other one was grey
Babies.jpg
The parents are, as best I can tell, a standard grey and a cfw of some sort, but please correct me if i'm wrong!

Any guesses as to what they will be?
Attachments
Parents.jpg

Teagarden
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: What am I going to get?

Post by Teagarden » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:18 pm

keijikage - I don't know a lot about Zebra finches but those are some cute juveniles. Congratulations!
Mary

RC Cordon Bleus, Gold Breasts, Gouldians, Owls, R/T Parrot Finch, Spice Finch, Star Finch, St Helena's, Strawberries, American Singer Canary, Irish Fancy Canaries, 2 dogs & 1 indoor cat

kyro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by kyro » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:51 am

They might be a fawn and a gray

keijikage
Pip
Pip

Post by keijikage » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:18 pm

They're getting older...I can't wait to find out what their adult colors are.

They've basically weaned now, so it's smooth sailing from here.
Babies 30 days.jpg

Aspen
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Aspen » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:42 am

The tan what is a fawn, which also means it has to be a female as it got that coloring from it's father. Being a fawn also fits with starting out pink (with a horn colored ie. non-black) beak. The other is a grey, and it could be male or female. You'll have to wait and see on that one!

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:25 am

Aspen If the mother is CFW and the father NG and they got a Fawn baby, that means the father was split to Fawn? Cuz correct me if I'm wrong, but Hens can't be split right? They just are what they are, and i know the CFW is a sex linked gene (still learning) But if the baby is fawn, the father was split to fawn? I ask because my little white baby, looks like it might not actually be white...it's like an off white, but I'm still waiting for him to grow a little more!!! Also, the fawn has to be female why? Because fawn is sex linked? (again sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm still learning, and apparently didn't pay attention in science class .... AT ALL cuz i don't remember ANY of this!!!

Aspen
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Aspen » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:35 am

A hen can't be split to sex linked characteristics. She can be to non-sex linked ones. Fawn, lightback and CFW are sex linked. The other variations are non-sexed linked.

If you have a fawn from a NG dad and CFW mom, the father has to be split to fawn. The female chicks from him will be NG or fawn, but they can't have the CFW gene because they don't get one from their mom. The males can't be fawn because they need a fawn gene from both mom and dad to look fawn, and your hen isn't fawn. So the fawn has to be female.

The males from that mating will all be split to CFW. If they get the grey gene from your male, they will look NG but can give grey or CFW females. If they get the fawn gene, then they are fawn and CFW - two sex linked mutations that, together, will show up in a male. Is your white one from this same mating? Then possibly it is a male fawn and CFW combination. Here is a picture from e-finch (linked from the page on fawn) that shows a fawn CFW male. If this is the case, he will throw CFW females and fawn females, no matter what he is paired with.
Attachments
cfwfawn.jpg
cfwfawn.jpg (5.7 KiB) Viewed 792 times