The Penguin

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
AkashaEvenstar
Pip
Pip

The Penguin

Post by AkashaEvenstar » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:05 pm

I have a female zebra that I think was supposed to be a penguin and was probably sold off due to pied genetics showing up in her. Would I have to breed her to a visual penguin male in order to get any penguin offspring or would a split penguin or normal grey also possibly give me a visual penguin?

I'll try to get a good picture of her. She's currently incubating a clutch that is due to hatch ANY day so it will be difficult.
4 zebras
2 spice
1 green singer

ApricotMuffins
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: The Penguin

Post by ApricotMuffins » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:21 pm

AkashaEvenstar

Sorry for the late response. If you haven't already figured it out:

if your hen is penguin and you want more penguins from her, she will need either a visual penguin male or a split for penguin male. Since penguin is a recessive mutation, the offspring will need two copies of the recessive gene to show the mutation. If you pair her with a normal gray male, you will not get any visual penguins.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: The Penguin

Post by cindy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:58 pm

Penguin is recessive and both parents must be visual or split to penguin to produce penguin. Since the hen carried pied you would have likely gotten penguins split to pied, some of the orange in the flanks and cheeks of male offspring may be effected by the pied gene. Pengiun and pied do not mix well, the pied removes the orange in penguins.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only