Best Pairing For D.E.W. (white) Society Finches?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Best Pairing For D.E.W. (white) Society Finches?

Post by Chris103 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:06 pm

Hey Guys!
I've been sick and basically bedridden for over a week. My mom stopped by Petsmart and came home with a surprise Society for me! She knows I don't like getting birds from Petsmart, but thought this guy was worth it. He's a beautiful Crested Dark Eyed White!!! Probably Fawn lineage since his eyes have a reddish tint.... but not quite bright enough to be an Albino. I'm aware of the possible eyesight issues associated with these guys, but he seems fine.. so far.

Now to my question(s)...

I'm working mostly on Self colored birds, with only a few light pieds in the bunch. What would be my best bet for getting more D.E.W'S? From what I've read, a heavy/marked Chocolate pied would theoretically give me some DEW....but I'm curious as to what I may get if he's bred to a Chocolate Self or a lightly pied bird. Would i get heavy pieds, light, or a mixture of the two? Do any of you guys out there working with Whites have some insight/opinions or observations based on pairings with DEW's?

I'll have to snap a picture of the guy when I'm feeling a bit better. He's beautiful. ..solid white, with a lovely crest! :)
Chris

Gouldians: GB-YB-BB-SB
RTPF
Societies
80+ Zebras in many mutations
Diamond Doves-working on a new mutation!
Mearns Quail-coming soon!
Mandarin Ducks
Senegal Parrot of 15 years

Previously: Macaws, Conures, Amazons, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Softbills, Tons of Finch species, and native rehabs. Currently-A Whitewing Dove and 4 House Finches.

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: Best Pairing For D.E.W. (white) Society Finches?

Post by Chris103 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:48 am

Well I bought a BEAUTIFUL Marked Pied "hen" for the Dark Eyed White Male....
As soon as I introduced them, they both broke out into song :roll:
I watched the Marked Pied for about an hour before I bought it, even put it in a separate cage waited, and introduced another....and no singing. I thought for sure it was a hen! I think I have 3 males for every hen Society now!

I guess I'll just set up all the extra males in pairs/trios and have them on standby in case of an emergency foster situation....
Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

Previously: Macaws, Conures, Amazons, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Softbills, Tons of Finch species, and native rehabs. Currently-A Whitewing Dove and 4 House Finches.

Smurf
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Smurf » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:32 am

I've a dark eyed white male and also trying to reproduce the colour, last year i paired him to the heaviest fawn pied i had but all the youngsters turned out to be fawn pieds showing less piedness than mother.

He's now paired back to daughter with 6 chicks in nest, chicks are only starting to get pin feathers so will be another week or 2 before i know their colours.
Padraic

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:06 pm

Smurf Glad to hear you're working on this mutation too! Hoping you can get some DEW from your chicks. Keep me posted on how they color out! Pied oa aich a random mutation... it's hard to get it right!
Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:18 pm

Here are a few pics of my Crested Dark Eyed White. ...and the Marked Pied I had hoped to pair him with. ...unfortunately it's also a male... but still a beautiful bird I think.

I don't generally name my birds but Albi is the DEW and Zorro for the Marked Pied. ..gotta love that mask lol!
Image[/URL
]Image

Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

Smurf
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Smurf » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:30 pm

Very nice birds, it's a shame both are cocks as going by nbfa website they would make the ideal pairing, all 6 chicks from my DEW cock x fawn pied daughter look to be dilute fawn pieds (possibly better pieds than mother), will post photo in a few weeks after they've fledged.

I also got 2 x crested albino cocks today to pair to dilute fawn pieds
Padraic

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:29 pm

My DEW male and Black-Grey hen threw the prettiest chicks as did my Crested Fawn Pied male and Black-Grey hen.

My Chestnut Frill male and REW hen throw chocolates...

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

Smurf
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Smurf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:00 am

All the chicks from the DEW cock x fawn pied daughter turned out to be pretty average fawn pieds, i figure at least 1 of 6 chicks should have been dew or marked pieds so split up pair, DEW cock is now paired to a crested Albino hen so i'll see what i get this time, i'm wondering if he could be just a VERY dilute fawn pied now. His parents were dilute chestnut x dilute fawn pied so it's possible.

Colt, sounds like you've some very nice colours in your societies.
Padraic

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:28 pm

Thank you. I'm most pleased with my Pearl-Greys. They are really lovely.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:37 am

Oh that male is so perfect, I am drying for a white crested society! I think they are just so beautiful. I have a nearly all white smooth-head hen bonded in a trio (her sister shares the same male) to a crested chocolate pied but her babies always take after dad with lots of dark markings, even when they get the crested gene.
~Dylan

~~~