Possible black cheek zebra nestling?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Themcleodflock
Hatchling
Hatchling

Possible black cheek zebra nestling?

Post by Themcleodflock » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi so I have 2 nestling zebras 13 and 14 days old. The parents are visually: a blackcheek CWF female called Flora and a visually normal grey pied male called Pip. I do not know if they are split to anything else, but Pip is heavily pied so it is difficult to tell much beyond him being a normal grey pied, he only has the edge of one cheek patch and both flank markings are broken.

I've attached photos of the two nestlings, one appears to have dark cheeks, does this mean it will be a black cheek normal grey? And if it is black cheek, does that mean that Pip is split for BC?
Attachments
finch5.jpg
finch4.jpg

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Possible black cheek zebra nestling?

Post by lovezebs » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:28 am

Themcleodflock

Try to PM Cindy, she might be able to give you an answer to your question.

~ Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Aspen
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Aspen » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:16 pm

If they are black cheeks, then both parents have to have it, either showing it or split for it. That is how recessive genes work. Gotta come from both for babies to have it.

Themcleodflock
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Themcleodflock » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:36 am

The father might be split but his pied markings cover almost all of his cheek patches.

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:15 pm

Aspen has it right.

Can you post photos of the parents?

I don't think I've ever seen a black cheek CFW hen in real life. The only pic I've seen is on Roy Beckham's site:
http://www.efinch.com/birdpix/bccfw.jpg

Does dad have any traces of black check patches? Or is the only patch traces orange?

Certainly you could have a split.
This is not a sex-linked mutation, so I believe males and females can be split. (Please don't quote me on that.....Just woke up and my mind isn't firing on all cylinders yet! LOL But I'm pretty positive this is a trait where females can be split.) So dad can definitely be split.
And if mum is visibly black cheek, then she's definitely a black-cheek gene carrier.

That baby on the left certainly does look black-cheeked. I've never seen a normal grey that looks like that. Very cute!
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Themcleodflock
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Themcleodflock » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Flora is pretty much identical to that photo, she has dark grey cheeks like that, a pale grey cap and very faint tail barring. I can get a good photo of her later. The dad, Pip, has only the very smallest trace of one cheek patch which is orange, but his pied covers the rest.

The babies are almost fledging now, they keep looking out of the nest and almost coming out. The little black cheeked one came out and flapped about a bit yesterday, but went back in and stayed in the nest today.

I'm going away for a few days (a nice neighbour is going to feed them whilst I'm away). So hopefully they will be fully fledged when I get back and I can get some good photos of the whole family.

Themcleodflock
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Themcleodflock » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:04 am

MiaCarter I managed to get some good-ish photos of the whole family. You can see how heavy the pied is on the father and the black cheek CWF mother, as well as the black cheek grey fledgling and a normal grey fledgling, no idea on genders of the fledglings yet as neither have started singing etc.
Attachments
Ok photo of the parents and both fledglings
Ok photo of the parents and both fledglings
Black cheek fledgling?
Black cheek fledgling?

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:18 pm

CFW is sex linked, hens do not carry the gene only males carry the gene. Hens can not be split to a sex linked gene but will give you split to CFW males.

BC is recessive both males and females can carry a recessive gene and can be split to it.

Your father bird is pied/BC (split because your one offspring is not full BC)
your hen is CFW BC

so depending on if the offspring a full or split to BC then the males will also be split to pied and CFW
the hens will be split to pied.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only