Normal Gray? Or something new?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Sheather
Proven
Proven

Normal Gray? Or something new?

Post by Sheather » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:11 pm

What would you guys say Geoff here is? He's 3 weeks old today. When he was little he was absolutely the darkest chick I'd ever had, but then his feathers began to grow in brown as if he was fawn. Well now there is a gray tint to the plumage, but there seems to almost be a rich brown or burnt orange silvering through his plumage now that I've never seen before. It's the same color as in his cheek patches (which interestingly, are already very obvious and have been since he first feathered up).

Parents are a fawn Florida Silver and a normal fawn pied, if that helps. Other siblings are silver (two different shades of it) and fawn.

Here he is behind a sibling, Willow, who is a fawn Florida Silver like dad.

~Dylan

~~~

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Re: Normal Gray? Or something new?

Post by lnlovesorange » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:20 pm

Not that I'm great with mutations, but it seems like he is NONE of the mutations that made him...oddly enough. Maybe you made a new mutation? LOL, i will say this he is BEAUTIFUL. I can see that burnt orange color you are talking about in the outlines of the feather, it's absolutely breath taking, can't wait to see him all colored up... any orange breast anywhere in his geneitcs, looks like his under parts/flanks have some orange coloring to it also (may just be the regular brown) Sorry i couldn't give you more info, but i HAD to comment on him, as he is just beautiful...I would say he's deffinately not NG though... but again, I'm not an expert. Good luck with him and finding out his mutation!!
Phaeo is what i was thinking...any bird I've ever seen with a lot of orange in his colorings has been phaeo... not orange breast as i said above...sorry #-o

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:34 pm

the male may be split to BB baby, can you take a picture of the tail to confirm that?

what I am looking at to show a possible split is the amount of white between the beak and tear, see how high it rises up the front of the face.

Also not sure if it is visible to you up close yet since he is not fully colored out but is there a line of orange over the eye sort of like an eyebrow?

Orange lacing in the feather edges can indicate either a split to BB or FF.

you will be able to tell more on your little male as he colors out

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:32 pm

Cindy here's his tail

All the chicks have a lot of white in the face, dad does too. They all have rather thin tear lines as Dad has very little too.

No orange eyebrow.

Split to Florida Fancy kinda confuses me... wouldn't that make him silver like dad and the two silver siblings?
~Dylan

~~~

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:50 pm

I have no clue about zebra genetics, but I love the peachy color of the scalloping. Reminds me of a dreamcicle.

Dang, now I want ice cream.
KarenB

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:28 am

Still no idea what Geoff is but he's turned into a sort of extremely dark chocolate form of the fawn mutation and clearly not a gray at all. I'll try to get a new picture because I've never seen anything like him before.
~Dylan

~~~

Derk
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Derk » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:52 am

Sheather
Whatever he is he is quite handsome! I am looking forward to the next photo. I know this is jumping the gun, but....any ideas what you want to breed him to? :wink:
Mary

zebras
societies
strawberries 1 pr, 2 F
gold-breasted waxbill 2 pr
cordon bleu blue capped, 2 pr, 1 M
cordon bleu red cheeked M
red-faced starfinch M
yellow faced starfinch M
Melodious Cuban finch M
gouldian red head norm. M, yellow white breast M
green singer M