Zebra Finch fledgling with 2 tone beak?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
xdartfrogx
Hatchling
Hatchling

Zebra Finch fledgling with 2 tone beak?

Post by xdartfrogx » Wed May 20, 2015 3:25 pm

The backstory:
Male CFW x Fawn female = 3 babies. 2 CCFW (1m/1f), and a NG male. I then bred:

Father CFW x daughter CCFW = 1 CCFW and 1 Intriguing Pied? The babies just fledged this morning. This brings me to my current issue:

Of the babies, 1 is a CCFW sex tbd, the other I am stumped. The other appears to be pied. But here's the kicker: When you look at this birds' right side, the beak is black, like a 'normal' fledgling. The left side of its beak is Pink! Like a CCFW. It is the strangest thing. Looking at the bird straight on, you can see that the colors are divided down the middle. So what is this beak coloring ordeal called? Is there a word for this? Is this common? The coloring on the feathers is not divided, just the beak colors. Please help?!? I am so confused!

*pics to follow upon cooperation of my ancient camera*
Proud Zebra Owner
1 White Pied
1 Grey Pied Crested

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Zebra Finch fledgling with 2 tone beak?

Post by cindy » Wed May 20, 2015 8:16 pm

what you are seeing is the pied removing the coloring in the beaks....

in the area right around the pink on the beak do you see white feather.... pictures will help me point a few thing out for you.

you can't breed CFW and get CCFW unless the father is split to CCFW. CFW babies are black skinned and the CCFW babies are pink skinned red eyed in the nest.... babies that are pied also show pink skin in spots or all over depending on the degree of pied they are.... if the babies where pink skinned and black eyed they are likely not CCFW but pieds. pied usually starts to show I and around the face of the bird, under the chin and top of the head and even white wing edges.

pictures of both parent including their tails especially the father and pictures of the babies will definitely help

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only