new split to blue

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

new split to blue

Post by kyle » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Yesterday I got a new gouldian. I've bought from this breeder before and was very satisfied. The gould I got yesterday was advertised as 100% split to blue. When I saw the gould I realized that he was molting and the breeder said he was about 5 months old. I like this breeder and blue gouldians are rarely available in my area so I took him home. After I got home I realized that because he is young there is no way to know for sure that he is carrying the blue gene. His mom is blue and his dad was split to blue. I think that it's most likely carrying the blue gene but there in a small possibility that he is not. I will try to find a blue hen and keep my fingers crossed. On a side note because he was housed with other types of finches he has a greater song repatoir quite beautiful. I thought this was more finch chat but now that I have read it I'm thinking it should have been in genetics but not sure how to move it.
Attachments
For sure he doesn't look his best.  Lol.
For sure he doesn't look his best. Lol.
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: new split to blue

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:58 pm

kyle

Good luck with your new little boy. Hope he turns out to be split to blue as you wish.

Baby him over the next little while, seeing as he's young and molting (not the best time to add the stress of a move and a new home) but hope for the best.

Elana
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks Elana, yes I thought as well it was a bad timing being in molt but he has been singing, eating and bathing since he arrived. I know I should have quarantined him and did for the first few hours after bringing him home but he stayed in the box I got him in and seemed so afraid that I thought he'd be better off with my little flock. As soon as I put the box in the large flight and he saw the other goulds he perked right up. You could never pick him out as the new guy he acts like he's always been part of the group. All the birds that I have purchased except from one have come from the same breeder. And the one that wasn't was from the breeder that supplies the guy I deal with. I felt that because they all came from the same source I was relatively safe.
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:32 pm

Aw, he's very cute!

I do believe he is necessarily split to blue, though.

This is because one parent was blue. That means that mum could only pass along a blue gene; so he definitely has one blue gene (a split to blue) if one parent was visually blue.

Just to verify (because I'm only so-so with genetics), I used the Gouldian genetics forecaster and confirmed my theory. A blue hen and split to blue male would produce half blues and half split to blues.

(I didn't know their head/chest colors, so I just guessed. It doesn't much matter, since the chest and head colors are genetically encoded separately from the blue)

Now, if you didn't have a visually blue parent and had two split to blue, you'd get 50% split to blue, 25% blue and 25% with no blue genes at all.
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:46 pm

kyle Can't help you with the genetics of your new Gouldian, but I can certainly move this topic to the Genetics forum for you.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:55 pm

Mia is right definitely split to Blue!
congratulations and best of luck =D>

Just a heads up, I would quarantine any birds that come in regardless of where they come from. Over time I'm sure birds come and go at your breeders too so there is no telling what you may bring into your flock.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:00 pm

I'm thinking you're right MiaCarter. I've been reading quite a bit about genetics but I've found it quite confusing. But if mom was blue and dad split the chick's would have at least one blue gene. I found a post by Crystal how do you produce a blue gouldian and it was by far the easiest explanation to understand that I have come across.
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Sally thanks for moving this. Debbie276 that's a good point. I hadn't considered that. It would be devastating if I brought in anything that could harm these guys.
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:51 pm

A good place to start learning about the gouldian genetics is here at the Finch information center.
http://www.finchinfo.com/genetics/lady_ ... /index.php
Also check out Tiffany's site
http://www.gouldiansgalore.com/
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:40 pm

kyle
the best idea when bringing home new finches is to quarantine them in a separate cage and separate room for 3-4 weeks. During that time, watch the droppings and if you notice anything suspicious, you may choose to treat proactively/preventatively, for asm with S76, Ronex12% and Worm Away. I quarantine longer than four weeks since it takes that long to treat a new finch with the medications listed above, since I don't give them simultaneously and I separate each treatment with a break from medications for a week, giving only filtered water and food. For example, the first two weeks is observation, the next week, I put S76 on their back or thigh, wait a week, then if no problems, give Worm Away as directed on the bottle. Then, a week of filtered water. Then, if no problems Ronex12% for five days. Then, observe again. If no problems show up, they can join the flock.
DEBORAH

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:06 pm

From now on I won't take any chances I will quarantine any new birds. Too bad in a way because they seem so much happier and adjust so much faster in a group. At least that been my experience with gouldians. I think if I buy any new finches I will get more than one at a time so that it's not alone. To do the quarantine properly 6 weeks is a long time for a finch to be by itself.
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

flymouse
Mature
Mature

Post by flymouse » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:16 am

finchmix22 wrote: kyle
the best idea when bringing home new finches is to quarantine them in a separate cage and separate room for 3-4 weeks. During that time, watch the droppings and if you notice anything suspicious, you may choose to treat proactively/preventatively, for asm with S76, Ronex12% and Worm Away. I quarantine longer than four weeks since it takes that long to treat a new finch with the medications listed above, since I don't give them simultaneously and I separate each treatment with a break from medications for a week, giving only filtered water and food. For example, the first two weeks is observation, the next week, I put S76 on their back or thigh, wait a week, then if no problems, give Worm Away as directed on the bottle. Then, a week of filtered water. Then, if no problems Ronex12% for five days. Then, observe again. If no problems show up, they can join the flock.
I know this was posted a while back but wondering why would you give all these medications when they might not have anything wrong with them to start with? Wanting to learn as much as I can. Thanks

Have a great day
Mickey Jo

Jesus Loves You
I love just about everything he created. Especially my little Chihuahua and chirpy little Finches.oops Guess I should add and my family the 2 legged type. lol