Breeding white zebras

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
adamharbeck
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Breeding white zebras

Post by adamharbeck » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:14 am

Hello All,

Firstly just let me say that I am not a white supremesist!
BUT pure white zeb's with red beaks are my faves. I am just curious to know, if I crossed a male white zebra to a female white zebra would all the offspring be white or would I get some normal/pied offspring?
I assume if the white gene is recessive then that would be the case but apparently there can be different genes for one colour.

Also, what would happen if I crossed a white zeb to a very dilute faun society finch? Would the pigment from the society "override" the white genes? I know hybridisation is frowned upon but I am curious.

Adam

the.puppeteer
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by the.puppeteer » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:20 am

Hi Adam,

it really depends on if the Zebras are 'true' whites or pieds that are completely white (we've bred pieds that produced four pure white chicks in two clutches).

If the birds are truely white, then all offspring should be white. But if they are pied (most likely) then your offspring will have varying amounts of pied.

The only way to find out is to breed them. :)

I don't know the anser to your Zeb X Soc question, sorry - I think it would depend on the colours of the Zebra's parents. ie if they were grey pied then the grey would probably be dominant to the fawn and the offspring from pairing your white Zeb to fawn Soc may be grey pied split to fawn? Though if your Zebs are true whites then the fawn would probably be dominant to the white.

If you do end up breeding them (yes it is frowned upon) please put up pics as I for one would be interested in seeing the offspring. :lol:

Good luck with your birdies!
-Julie
Visit http://www.gardenessgardens.com
Owned by: Blue-capped Cordon Bleu, Goldbreasts, Gouldians, Owls, Pintail Whydahs, Societies, Stars, Strawberries, Zebras, 3 ferrets, 2 cats and 2 Kakariki.

adamharbeck
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

white zebras

Post by adamharbeck » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:52 pm

Thankyou Julie,

Thanyou for your reply.

I will have to ask the store where they source thier birds from and some idea of thier "herritage".

I had read that societies interbreed freely with zebras and was curious to see the results but since found a picture of a society x zebra online im a bit put off, they are not a nice looking bird.
http://w1.avis.ne.jp/~hirocafe/columns/jushi9-012.html
http://www.birdboard.com/forum/canaries ... ating.html

The crosses between Pale-headed Munias and societies on the other hand are gorgeous, If only they were more freely available :(
http://w1.avis.ne.jp/~hirocafe/columns/ ... 007-1.html

nachoman
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by nachoman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:15 am

I currently have 4 munia's x society's. One has a pretty white had so i'm hoping if it breeds i will get a few all whites ore close too.

Littlemissfinch
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Littlemissfinch » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:27 pm

What if we start a new species of bird!
Rachel

Nature Knows Best.

Nagdabit
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Nagdabit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:20 pm

Someone on an another forum stated recently that breeding a white male zebra with a white female zebra can be lethal to the chicks. I can't say that I've heard this statement before. Has anyone else?

All we can base our experience on is that our one white male stole his son's mate (white hen) for a clutch and they produced three beautiful white chicks, the 2 males having bright red beaks like their daddy. Apparently you're not the only one who likes that combination cause they were the first to go from that pet store shipment.

Rory and Sherry
30+ Zebra Finches (The actual number constantly changes) 2 Rabbits (1 Mini Rex, 1 Dutch), 1 Grouchy Old Fart, and 1 Dang Redhead

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:24 pm

Nope - I've only heard the negatives about breeding crested Societies to crested Societies - nothing about white Zebs to white Zebs.
Liz