Pied Society to Self via selective breeding. Possible?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
hanabi
Mature
Mature

Pied Society to Self via selective breeding. Possible?

Post by hanabi » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:10 am

I hear there is no such thing as a silly question, so here we go :D

I have quite a number of Society finches but they are all pied varieties. For whatever reason I much prefer the self varieties, but they are quite difficult to purchase here in Japan (while their pied cousins are a dime a dozen). Some example images of my Societies are as follows:

So, here is my question: is it possible to produce a "pure" self Society by selectively breeding, over many generations, from pied Societies? Or is it most likely that some amount of "pied" genetics will remain even after many crossing? I'm hoping that it is possible because this would make a rather interesting experiment.

Thanks in advance for any comments, tips, or links to further reading you may have.

Ross
Ross at Lake Biwa, Japan
African Silverbill, Chestnut-Breasted Munia, Common Waxbill, Diamond Finch, Forbes Parrotfinch, Gold-Breasted Waxbill, Gouldian Finch, Masked Finch, Owl Finch, Painted Firetail Finch, Pintailed Parrotfinch, Plumhead Finch, Red-Billed Firefinch, Red-browed Firetail Finch, Scaly-Breasted Munia, Self Society Finch, Star Finch.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Pied Society to Self via selective breeding. Possible?

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:25 am

hanabi

Hey Ross

I have no idea if it's possible or not, but it would definitely be an interesting multi-generational experiment.

Just a quick question here, is your bird in picture #2, a Zebra/Socie hybrid? Something about the beak shape makes me wonder (?)

Good luck with your endeavours if you do decide to try.

P.S. By the way, your birds are beautiful :-).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:05 pm

From what I've been told, pied is always present, once it is in the genes. I have a friend who specializes in self Societies, and she said that when pied is in the genes, it may not show up in a Self for several generations, and then all of a sudden, here is a pied baby. It may not be pied as we think of, having only one little spot of white, but that tells her that there is pied in that line. Even here in the U.S., where there are lots of selfs available, breeders have to watch for the pied gene to show up in new birds, so they can remove that line from their breeding program.

With pieds like yours, I would guess it would be impossible to produce a self, even one carrying pied genes.

BTW, that is true, there is no such thing as a silly question! That is how we all learn from each other, so ask away. Most of us are not experts, and even experts will tell you that they are always learning something new.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Smurf
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Smurf » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:34 pm

I don't think it would be possible, there's both recessive and dominant forms of pied with both forms often being present in same bird, as you say pieds are so common in Japan then your birds have most likely had 2 x pied parents over many generations which would virtually eliminate any chance of hidden non pied genes.

BTW, i prefer the pieds especially like the 1 in your 2nd photo
Padraic

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:47 pm

hanabi

Your crested pied is very cute! I had pied societies and self societies, and when they bred, their babies all had some type of white marks on them to show the pied in their genetics. I no longer have pied, because I'm more interested in self societies at the moment, but I think they're both beautiful birds.
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

hanabi
Mature
Mature

Post by hanabi » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:50 pm

lovezebs
Sally
Smurf
slwatson

Oh you guys are no fun at all :D

I had suspicions I may not be able to weed out the pied gene(s). In all seriousness thanks for the above advice, because you saved me from increasing the global Society finch population by 50% trying to accomplish something that probably can't be done. I guess if all the pied societies here have the same dominant gene then I'd be mating dominant to dominant resulting in dominant, forever. No chance of ever breeding dominant genes out.

Just a quick question here, is your bird in picture #2, a Zebra/Socie hybrid?

No idea actually Elana. All my Societies came from my finch mentor. He only had a couple of Zebs and he is not the type to cross-breed species, but perhaps his source of Societies had a hybrid amongst them. I have to admit I always thought that that particular Society looked 'different', but I just put it down to my inexperience. The shape of the line from the head to the beak does not have the usual smooth arc that Societies usually have, does it? And he does seem to be a bit 'stockier' than my other Societies too.

Your crested pied is very cute!

Thank you, and I agree, he's one of my most handsome males. And almost a 'self' to boot :) He was going to become one of my stud males in my breeding program, but shucks, he's going to miss out on a lot of fun now :wink:

Cheers from sunny but cold Japan.
Ross at Lake Biwa, Japan
African Silverbill, Chestnut-Breasted Munia, Common Waxbill, Diamond Finch, Forbes Parrotfinch, Gold-Breasted Waxbill, Gouldian Finch, Masked Finch, Owl Finch, Painted Firetail Finch, Pintailed Parrotfinch, Plumhead Finch, Red-Billed Firefinch, Red-browed Firetail Finch, Scaly-Breasted Munia, Self Society Finch, Star Finch.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:52 pm

hanabi

Well Ross, it was an interesting thought anyway, sigh....

I'd still keep an eye on #2 (he interests me).

Seeing as I can't send you the actual thing, sending you a picture of some pretty kids :-)
Attachments
20140607_132358-1.jpg
20140926_182041-1.jpg
20140926_182041-1.jpg (91.1 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
20141116_175430-1.jpg
20140607_131403-1.jpg
20141122_123034.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

hanabi
Mature
Mature

Post by hanabi » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:00 am

lovezebs

sending you a picture of some pretty kids

Thanks for that. And how nice, they all appear to be self Societies. Are you skiting Elana? Rubbing a bit of salt into my wounds? :D

The babe in the first photo is particularly gorgeous. Is that a chestnut self Society Elana?
Ross at Lake Biwa, Japan

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:47 am

hanabi

No salt intended, Ross (apologies if it came across that way).
Not sure if they are selfs or not, just sharing some more solid coloured birdlings.

I have to say, that I am rather fond of the whites :-).

Are there any solid coloured Socies in Japan at all, (that could perhaps be ordered?
~Elana~

hanabi
Mature
Mature

Post by hanabi » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:07 am

lovezebs wrote: hanabi

No salt intended, Ross (apologies if it came across that way).
Just pulling your leg Elana :P

Are there any solid coloured Socies in Japan at all, (that could perhaps be ordered?)

Yes there are some, at least they look 'self', but after this discussion I'm now worried what genes "lurk within". There are also European Societies, which I understand are not the original Japanese Society finch but a "Euro mix" of three Munia species (or is it Lonchura?). E.g.:

http://www.kittou-pet.jp/products/detai ... ct_id=5894

Yes that is about $200 for a pair. Chocolate Euro Societies are around $60/pr though:

http://www.kittou-pet.jp/products/detai ... ct_id=4658

However, any of the self varieties are rarely on sale it seems. Perhaps it's a winter thing.

I think I would prefer the Japanese selfs because I hear they make better fosters than the Euros.

Cheers.
Ross at Lake Biwa, Japan

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:34 am

hanabi

BEAUTIFUL BIRDS!!!

I was going to say wow to those gorgeous Fawns, then I saw the Blacks....even a bigger WOW.

There is a fellow here in town advertising these guys on kijiji..... but I happen to know, that they are well over a year old, lol. Still pretty though :-).

"I have a few beautiful black brown self society finches. Beautiful showy birds, no white on face. 40 each. All 3 for 100$ Under a year old."
Attachments
$_35.jpeg
$_35.jpeg (14.6 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
$_35.gif
$_35.gif (49.41 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
$_35-1.jpeg
$_35-1.jpeg (18.55 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
~Elana~

adriathica
Pip
Pip

Post by adriathica » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:16 pm

I have a pair like the babe from the first photo.....somebody can tell me what is the colour name ?

hanabi
Mature
Mature

Post by hanabi » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:48 pm

adriathica

I think that phenotype is called chocolate pied.
Ross at Lake Biwa, Japan