Yellow Gouldian Genetics

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Re: Yellow Gouldian Genetics

Post by lnlovesorange » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:31 pm

MariusStegmann I know what you mean about the learning a little at a time, I think the reason I don't retain it is because i'm not breeding birds. But when debbie explains something I understand it, (and when I bread Zebras my male was split for something so I learned some genetics that way) but if it's not something that you are doing, or looking at all the time it just kind of leaves, but great idea to just take in a little at a time WHILE you're doing it.... I would like to breed goulds one day, but that's a LONNG way off....

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:07 pm

How do you know if they're double factor or single factor?
The Pastel gene (which is a sex-linked gene) is what makes a yellow colored bird. Pastel blocks the color black so all black areas are now white.
SF Pastel males will be a visually green bird but a lighter color and all black areas will be gray.
If your male bird inherits one Pastel gene and 2 Blue genes it is a SF Pastel Blue and visually blue but a lighter blue color, all black areas are gray.
if your male bird is a White Breast and Single Factor the body will be visually yellow on a SF Pastel and visually white on a SF Pastel Blue. The easiest way to tell if the male is SF is a gray chin instead of white.
SF Pastel "battles" with the Green body for expression so a little of each gene is visual making the bird not green or yellow colored but a shade in between and all black areas gray instead of the white of a DF. Same with the SF Pastel Blue, will be a shade between blue and white and all black areas are gray.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:00 am

Blimey, That is a very comprehensive answer, I have to save this explanation about SF. Thanx Debbie.
Marius

marymac
Nestling
Nestling

Post by marymac » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Danny

Hi Danny! I'm from the Phoenix area and very new to finches. But I found a gentleman in Cave Creek that has some very nice blues! If you happen to be looking still I can give you his contact info.

MaryMac
Mary Mac

KHoward
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by KHoward » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:01 pm

I have a yellowback dilute male with a RH and am being offered a yellowback black head female. First of all, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a YB/BH gouldian. Second, if they breed, what would they even produce - a rainbow colored snow cone?

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:48 am

I have a yellowback dilute male with a RH and am being offered a yellowback black head female. First of all, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a YB/BH gouldian. Second, if they breed, what would they even produce - a rainbow colored snow cone?
Not sure what you mean by a yellow back dilute unless you mean a SF Pastel with either a white or lilac breast which would be visually yellow bodied.
A BH Pastel will have a white head because the pastel gene prevents the color black from being produced.

You will get RedHead split to BlackHead males and RH hens, SF Pastel and DF Pastel males and Pastel and Green hens.
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

KHoward
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by KHoward » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks for the reply Debbie.

I ordered a RH/YB pair from a well known retailer. They shipped me what looks to be a greenback male. When I sent them a picture they said it was a "dilute" yellowback. The female which was RH/YB/WB died within 2 days.

To replace the dead one, they want to ship me a BH/YB female.

Part of the issue is that I wanted a "true" yellowback pair and feel like I have been duped with what they are shipping me.

They won't refund my money, all they will do is ship me a replacement for the dead one. Basically, I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place.
Attachments
rh2.JPG
rh1.JPG

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:22 pm

He is a Single Factor Pastel.
That wasn't very nice of the breeder to send you him, certainly they knew you wanted a visually yellow bird. :(
With the condition of the birds he's sending you I'd do the best you can and then stay well away of that breeder in the future.

Good luck
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

KHoward
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by KHoward » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks Debbie,

Do you know of anyone in New England who you could recommend? I live in Mass.

Thanks and have a great weekend.