Mutations?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Jmason9811
Pip
Pip

Mutations?

Post by Jmason9811 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:54 am

Hi, just wondering if someone can identify what mutations the little ones are? They were born on the 6th January, and think that there is two females and a male (the darker feathered one)? Can anyone confirm also this? thanks!

Also gave a photo of the parents :-)
Attachments
Male in the middle
Male in the middle
Two females and male at back
Two females and male at back
Parents
Parents

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Mutations?

Post by Colt » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:33 am

cindy is better with Zebra mutations, but in regards to their possibly genetic make up...

Original Pair:

Male - Normal Grey Pied
Hen - Fawn (possibly?)

The chicks look Normal Grey and Fawn to me. It is too early to sex them.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

xz_zebs
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Mutations?

Post by xz_zebs » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:59 pm

The parents are certainly a fawn hen and a normal grey pied cock, but I believe that the hen may also split to black cheek (that tear is very wide) and the cock may also be black face.

I would need to see pics of the cock's other side to make a better guess in regards to black face. The side that is shown looks more like a black face with a pied marking on the face rather than a normal grey face. If the other side is identical, this bird may just have slightly odd looking facial markings. The chest on this bird isn't dark/light enough to indicate either way. Not all BF cocks have dark underparts.

First pic:
Normal grey, possibly male based on the darker feathers sprinkled on the chest. Too early to tell for sure though.

Second pic:
Both fawns. Fawn in back looks like it will be male as I can already see stripes on the throat. The other chick is too young to tell. If dad is black face, one or both of these fawns may also be black face. The lower contrast on fawn chicks makes it harder to tell.