Penguins or sneaky pieds?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Lacybug
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Penguins or sneaky pieds?

Post by Lacybug » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:27 pm

Haha, ok so I have this pair of Zebra finches that I *thought* were both of the penguin mutation. I mean, it at least looks like they have the "salt and pepper" tail feathers among the other penguin like markings. But according to what I know about genetics if they're both penguins all of their chicks should be of the penguin mutation as well, and they obviously are not.

Parents:

I'm wondering if Colt can help me out a little here, as I believe the female was bred by you (I purchased her at the May 2015 Cleburne bird mart, she has a small turquoise band). From what I can guess, she is fawn split to pied (white wing edge).

What I want to know is if they're not penguins, are they just *very* conveniently pied? :lol: I think that might be the case because their daughter (100% sure it's a hen as I've never seen it sing) is completely white. Practically invisible tear marks and tail bars. You have to really look for them. Then again she could just be a super light cfw. (Is there such a thing as a fawn cfw?) And then I believe the son is simply a fawn.

Daughter:

Son:
Poe (NG) & Little Beep (NG/Pied)
Gandalf (NG/Pied) & Peep (CFW)
Sir Richard (Penguin/Pied) & Gwendolyn (Fawn Penguin)
R2-D2 (CFW) & Penelope (CFW)
Nyota the Senegal Parrot.
Crease the hand-tame pegleg (CFW)

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Penguins or sneaky pieds?

Post by Colt » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:01 am

Ooo girl, I don't have any idea. I'm hopeless at Zebra Finch genetics. That's why I sold off all my zebras and started over with pure Orange-breasted and Black-cheeked birds. I don't even recognize her. I know I had a penguin hen that had a purple band on (I think). But I don't remember banding any of the zebras with turquoise.

@cindy do you have any idea?

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:12 am

Lacybug
I am no expert at mutations , but I'd say the first one is split to pied , since it has a white line on its wing , if others are related to the first one all of them have a pied gene (I think thats how it goes not sure), but then when you look at the second one , I wouldn't say that that is pied since their color mutations don't just disappear , they fade and as far as i know pied just blanks out that spot .
Also the first one has a white cheek , which I think is because of pied , I am not sure , dont take my word for it tho hehe , i just tried to help from the small knowledge I think I obtained :P
Oh the the daughter is very cute , she looks shy on the pictures ^_^

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:16 pm

Mom looks like a pied Fawn maybe...

My grandbabies are cute though!

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:57 am

Visually...mom split to pied, tail bars are to dark for penguin (unless it is the picture...penguins tails are usually frosted) and not a BB since she has bars in her tail, does she have a silver head and fawn colored back? Your first picture makes her look all silver gray.

Visually dad is a penguin (split to CFW)

Daughter looks CFW pied (appears to be a faint tear pied and the combination of CFW and penguin likely has faded it some). Since your birds produced a CFW hen dad is then also split to CFW (sex linked)

The son is split to pied also and is not a visual penguin, does he also have a fawn back and silver head in person?

if the head is gray and the backs are fawn they may also carry LB (dad may be split to it as well if they have a LB male).... penguin mixed with cfw and lb will dilute the colors in the offspring. the white cheeks on mom could be the effects of pied but usually you do not see such a perfect shape with pied when removing cheek color.... could be and this is a long shot, just throwing it out there...mom could be a DS (tear removed by pied) and the son a sf DS.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by Spreckles » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:54 pm

Cindy
Your knowledge of genetics is mind blowing. Impressive! Totally Greek to me. Whatever they are they are lovely birds!

Karen