zebra beak colour

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

zebra beak colour

Post by mohum » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:00 am

My last zebra fledglings had grey beaks which then changed to red. I have noticed a new baby in the nest with a white beak. My question is-Do they all hatch white then go through grey to red? It appears to have white plumage too so I am hoping for a white baby. I have a grey female and a white faced one. The previous parent was the grey one so perhaps this time it is the white. I have only seen a male feeding so I can't be sure.
1 cat, 1 cockatiel, 3 canaries, 9 zebra finches, 1 kakariki

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: zebra beak colour

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:22 am

mohum

Seems to me, like the babies that turned out white, had pink beaks....

So I'll be curious to know, what these kids with the white beaks turn out to be.

Any pictures?
Attachments
20150303_161359.jpg
1425517227695.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by mohum » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:39 pm

They,re in an outdoor aviary so I will wait for them to fledge before taking pictures. I would like something different because my last lot were all identical grey boys.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:53 pm

mohum

Oh ok.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

xz_zebs
Nestling
Nestling

Post by xz_zebs » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:02 pm

Baby zebra beaks are different colors based on their adult plumage. Most grey based mutations have black beaks as fledglings. Lightbacks have dark horn color beaks. Fawn, Dominant silver and Fawn Cheek zebras fledglings will have horn colored beaks. Continental CFW and White zebra fledglings have white/pink beaks.

This site has a section on fledglings for most varieties and beak color is usually discussed in that section:
http://www.efinch.com/varieties.htm

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by mohum » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:55 pm

Thanks. So there is at least one white and I spotted a grey today. Judging by the racket there is a full clutch hatched. I never heard them last time. Still can't work out who is mum though.

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by mohum » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:02 am

So the fledglings are all out today and there are 4 grey and 2 white,all being looked after by mum and dad. My two original whites are both females and I was wondering if any of the white babies could be male. How would this show in the adult plumage? No pictures yet as it's too risky with the outdoor aviary.

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:37 pm

mohum What kind of "white" are they? Are your females CFW whites? If the female is CFW, the only way you could have CFW baby boys, is if the father was CFW or split to CFW. It is sex linked so if a girl gets the gene she is CFW (Chestnut Flanked White) but the boy needs it from both parents.... So if your father is not white or not split for white, then your babies that are white are girls.. Again this is if they are CFW's. Not sure if they are another "white" Also, if your father bird was split for LB, then the babies could be males, and they will turn out VERY similar to CFW's just thier backs will not be white they will be a VERY very light brown... beige color. Because Lightback shows on the same Allele as CFW, so they can work together as if they are the same trait... Hope this helps... Pictures... PLEASE!!!! We love babies!!!

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by mohum » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:10 am

Here are two of the six babies. I was about to get a picture of them all when someone fired up a chainsaw and caused mayhem. They are at their cutest when all cuddled up on the floor. They still go back to the nest at night.
Attachments
20160323_073139.jpg