unidentified zebra

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
WigglePuppy
Pip
Pip

unidentified zebra

Post by WigglePuppy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:35 pm

Hi there! I'm located in Canada and recently had a different looking zebra hen fledge. She lost the last of her baby black beak a few weeks ago. The lacing in her wings is something I've never seen before and her toenails are black. All my other RCFW have nails much lighter than her.

The cock is potentially her grandfather. He has since died so I cannot give any more recent images. His tail bars were in the middle of the shades of the two different CFW mutations.

The confirmed mutations I have in my flock are: lightback, regular CFW, fawn, black cheek and pied. I sometimes get birds that go through a stage of looking like black faced birds but it never remains that way. I had assumed it was a lack of lighting but they have had full spec lighting above the cage for two years now and it didn't stop the black faced markings sometimes showing up on younger birds.

There could very well be recessives floating amongst the flock. Now for the pictures!

Her wing and tail bars

her face

the bird that is potentially her grandfather. I have no history on him, he was purchased as an adult as a CFW and never really properly looked like one.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: unidentified zebra

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:25 pm

WigglePuppy

Welcome to the Forum.
Sorry I can't help you with the Zebra mutations, but there are several folks on here, who are fairly knowledgeable and will hopefully chime in with some ideas

Grandpa, was a beautiful bird.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:12 pm

I'm not good on mutations either, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum! We have quite a few members from Canada. There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find articles on finch care and especially the Zebra finch. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier to answer locale-specific questions later on.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Thu May 19, 2016 5:01 pm

Grandfather looks like a fawncheek
Thé hen looks CFw Dan

WigglePuppy
Pip
Pip

Post by WigglePuppy » Fri May 20, 2016 1:34 pm

Thanks! I was pretty sure the cock was a fawn cheek too.