Canary mutation

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Canary mutation

Post by StodOne » Sun May 15, 2016 1:15 pm

I was wondering if I will be able to pair up my canary with a gloster one , I am not sure which type of canary my male is , I was told on the forum that it is a harz roller , but his song to me sounds more like a malinois , here are the pictures , can someone tell me if these two can mate and if yes what would their mutation look like?

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Canary mutation

Post by Sheather » Sun May 15, 2016 1:32 pm

Yes, they can mate. The offspring would be mixed breeds, probably very healthy because of the diverse genes of their parents. You would get half crested offspring and half normal offspring. The chicks would be intermediate in shape between the slimmer father and stocky hen.
~Dylan

~~~

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Sun May 15, 2016 1:52 pm

Sheather Thanks a lot , also what else is good for stimulating breeding behavior except eggs , so that I know what to give them?
beside regular seed mix and hard boiled eggs I give them a slice of apple every 2 or 3 days , I give them chickweed every day they seem to LOVE that thing , as soon as I put it in the cage I start hearing clicking sounds as they munch on their chickweed.
I give them other veggies also like cucumber , carrot , lettuce/green leaf and so on when I get my hands on it.

Egret
Pip
Pip

Post by Egret » Sun May 22, 2016 5:31 pm

StodOne, sounds like you have their feeding covered. Another part of their nutritional needs is a calcium source (or several, just to be safe), so that your hen can make and safely pass an egg. A cuttlebone and some crushed eggshell or crushed oystershell should cover that. Also she needs vitamin D3 for the same thing, so try to find a vitamin supplement with that in it.
One thing you might consider is, rather than concentrating on "stimulating them to breed", you first concentrate on making sure they are in "breeding condition. This involves continuing to feed them as you have been, with the addition of the calcium sources mentioned above, but also they need exercise, especially the hen. Get her into the longest (or widest) cage you can get (30 inches is the absolute minumum, 5 or 6 feet is better), and keep the cage uncluttered so she will fly from end to end. The most common killer of canary hens is egg-binding, and it is heart-breaking to see. It's caused almost entirely by lack of exercise, lack of vitamin D3, and insufficient calcium.
It's best to keep the birds in separate cages until the hen, at least, is in really great condition. Then you can put them together in a cage with a nest and some nesting material and see what happens!
Good luck, they are lovely birds.
Rebecca

Societies, Gouldians, RC Cordon Bleu's, Orange-Cheeked WB's, Spicies, Red-Throated Parrot Finch, Blue-Faced Parrot Finch, Forbes Parrot Finch, Lavender Waxbills, Shaft-Tail Finches, Fire Finches, English Zebra Finches, and Buffy, the Lone-Canary-Hen-Who-Sings.