society chick colors?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
WigglePuppy
Pip
Pip

society chick colors?

Post by WigglePuppy » Fri May 20, 2016 1:31 pm

I've had a clutch of 4 societies, and what I thought were three chestnuts have me scratching my head now. The other chick that isn't pictured is a fawn.

My flock contains fawns, chocolates, chestnuts, black grey and euro black brown. The mother of these birds is definitely a fawn, the male who was behaving as her mate is a chocolate.

Are these three just two different shades of chestnut? They have been out of the nest for not quite a month.

OAvila1986
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: society chick colors?

Post by OAvila1986 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:25 pm

Yiu should post pictures of the parents! I really liked those colors. Im sorry I'm not much of a help with your question.
| Orlando |

Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by Spreckles » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:34 pm

Tag Debbie276 they are beautiful! Post pics of parents.
Karen

Smurf
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Smurf » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:09 am

Societies can hide multiple colour mutations so you never know what to expect, chestnut colour can vary alot from silver to chestnut when recessive dilute factors are involved. There are numerous possibilities or combinations such as clearwing, pearl and dilute factors depending on what genes parents are hiding. The white white areas above nostrils also signify being split for recessive pied. Maybe if you do a bit of googling for photos of these mutations it would help you identify mutation more accurately as i find some of them look very similar to each other and difficult to accurately identify.

The're very nice coloured chicks, i breed societies for colours which i think look good rather than being concerned with what specific colour mutation they are :)
Padraic

WigglePuppy
Pip
Pip

Post by WigglePuppy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:15 pm

Two darker chicks now appear as normal chestnuts, the other chick remains unusually light. Haven't gotten pics of the parents yet, but they are nothing amazing, just a fawn hen and a chocolate cock.

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:49 pm

WigglePuppy
They are beautiful! I think they are a nice mix of chocolate and fawn, with pied mixed in and maybe even a dliute or light gene for the lighter one.
DEBORAH