Outcrossing African firefinch?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
perryheslop
Pip
Pip

Outcrossing African firefinch?

Post by perryheslop » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:01 pm

Hello all. Just a question that I can't seem to find an answer for. I have a few pairs of African Fire pieds and lots of fledglings recently. Because pieds are a mutation, I was wondering if I need to start to outcross these babies back to the normals down the track? Or are the genetics of these mutations well established to not really need to be outcrossed? Do all mutations of all finch species need to be outcrossed if you want to maintain good sized, healthy birds? Btw, I live in Melbourne, Australia. I know with my Gouldians, we have to outcross our blues back to normals regularly to keep the stock healthy. Thanking you all in advance :)

Malcolm

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Outcrossing African firefinch?

Post by Sally » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:51 pm

I would think that since pied is a fairly new mutation in Fire finches (isn't it in Australia?), outcrossing would be a good idea to strengthen the bloodlines. We'd love to see photos!

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier later on when members are answering questions.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

perryheslop
Pip
Pip

Post by perryheslop » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:36 pm

Yes the pied mutation is well established here. But if it's well established, do I need to outcross to normals? I'll try to send some pics I just took now. I hope it works! I think they're really cute :)

perryheslop
Pip
Pip

Post by perryheslop » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:45 pm

[img]C:\Users\malcolm\Desktop\ruddy1[/img]
[img]C:\Users\malcolm\Desktop\ruddy2[/img]
[img]C:\Users\malcolm\Desktop\ruddy3[/img]

perryheslop
Pip
Pip