Is my zebbie really a fawn?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
ALittleBirdKeeper
Pip
Pip

Is my zebbie really a fawn?

Post by ALittleBirdKeeper » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:05 am

Hi folks,

I like to think I'm pretty good at the genetics side of things, well, inheritance at least, but I've recently realised that zebra finch colours are a lot more complicated than the gouldians that I could calculate nice and easy!

My struggle is this: I have crossed a BC male (unknown for parentage) to a CFW hen (also bought) and from them I got a lightback boy (because he has apricot cheeks), what I'm calling a ghost cheek lightback hen (clean white belly whitish cheeks), and a fawn boy.

But I wanted to check that he is actually a fawn boy (split to CFW from mum) and not some similar visual appearance as a result of CFW and Lightback being expressed together??

I don't have any pics at the moment, but any answers from what I've given are welcome! Thanks :)

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Is my zebbie really a fawn?

Post by Sally » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:12 am

I'm no good on Zebra genetics, but there is a website with photos/drawings of many of the Zebra mutations:

http://www.efinch.com/

In addition, there are many photos and descriptions of various Zebra mutations at the Finch Information Center:

http://www.finchinfo.com/birds/finches/ ... _finch.php

Welcome to the forum! If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to answer locale-specific questions.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:02 pm

ALittleBirdKeeper
you got A fawn boy
so dad must be split to fawn and mom must be also faw
so I guess dad is BC split to Light Back split to Fawn and the mum is a FawnCFW.
we need photos and (we love them) to state

ALittleBirdKeeper
Pip
Pip

Post by ALittleBirdKeeper » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:37 pm

Haroun, I feel like a proper dipstick. I had seen the CFW Fawns on efinch and was too busy deciding that my boy wasn't one of them that I didn't even consider that the mum might be. I get tripped up on what are and aren't sex linked colours and kept thinking she could only carry CFW as that is how she appears. This explains everything!

I'll do pics eventually but they were recently moved in from the aviary and need a bit more time to chill before I can go near them with a big scary phone lol

Thanks!

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:56 pm

for sex linked colours this mutation is recessive for cok hen cant be recessive for such as colour she has to be or not be never split for that
so males could be no mutant , split , or mutant for sex linked colour
LB,CFW ,Fawn and for some other rare mutation
Hens could be mutant or not no other option

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:18 pm

look at this one i got it from a lb fc hen and bc /fawn/cfw cok
i'm also stuck about this clutch i got a large spectrum of colors 1 grey,1 lb ,1 fawn cheek ,1 cfw hen and this one still now stucked is he fawncfw or a fawnlb .
i think lb fawn because i cant get in same clutch lb and cfw males from a lb hen and cfw(or split to ) cok
the lb dominates the cfw when we breed cfw(or splitto) cok and lb hen or vice-versa all boys will lb split to cfw and the girls will follow dad colour
cfw(/split to)x lb hen= (some) boys will be lb split to cfw (others grey split to lb) , girls full CFW (and normal grey)
lb (or split to) x cfw hen = (some) boys will be lb split to cfw(others split to cfw), girls full lb (and normal grey)

you add the fawn coulour and you can see how much the probability is to get a fawn cfw or a fawn lb
Attachments
Photo0147.jpg
Photo0147.jpg (20.05 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Photo0152.jpg
Photo0152.jpg (23.79 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:55 pm

can you post pictures of the parents and offspring?

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only