Maybe reading to much

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Finley16
Hatchling
Hatchling

Maybe reading to much

Post by Finley16 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:05 am

I have been reading all day on the ladygoulds...most of everything I read says they are very hard to keep healthy? I was just wondering if that was true....I have until Monday to take my bird back to the pet store..I am not new to birds but am with this kind..I sure don't want to have the little fellow die all because I am new to this kind of bird...thank you for any reply...what I have read says they are unhealthy and hard to keep healthy..
Love my pets..2 dogs..Maltese and yorkie..2 betafish, 2 fish tanks, and of course my ladygould finch..

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Maybe reading to much

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:49 am

Finley16

I have not personally kept them, but have been told that they are not as fragile as they are made out to be by people who have kept them, so long as they get good quality care (variety of fresh foods, good space to fly, etc). The main concerns seem to be air sac mites and chill.
Chill is fairy easy to prevent with a bird-safe heater (the bird may get too hot with a heat lamp unless it is in a large cage where it can move 3-4 feet away horizontally from the heat source).
Air sac mites are harder to prevent, as Gouldians often have them from the start. They can be controlled, but not treated, with success using medicines such as S76 and Scatt. Treatment is often impossible, as some mites will stay in the air sacs which the medicine cannot properly reach, as the air sacs do not have much blood flow. I have read conflicting information on air sac mite death rates, some say it is very low, only occasionally causing asphyxiation, while others say it's one of the top causes of death for Gouldians. In the case that both of these are true for Gouldians, it could mean that they are generally quite healthy and few health problems cause them much trouble.
If you believe the pet store and its sources are high-quality and your bird is not having trouble breathing or showing any other signs of poor health, then it is most likely fine and will hopefully stay that way. If it is showing any sign of poor health (sleeping all the time, staying fluffed up, open-mouth breathing, etc) take it back.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:11 am

Finley16

I'm not sure what you have been reading, but it sounds like old information. The Gouldian finches of today, are not the fragile hot house flowers of bygone years.

Is it a beginner Finch? No....

However....

Offered a nice sized cage, minimum 18x18x30 (length) or bigger (better), proper lighting, companionship of another of their own kind, and a good diet , consisting of Finch and Canary seed, with hard boiled eggs, a variety of greens, some fruit , and crushed egg shells for calcium, they should do well for you.

Beginner Finches to look at, would be Society finches. BUT, they HAVE to be kept in two's (two male, two female).

If you want a lone bird, who will sing and be happy on it's own, I can highly recommend a male Canary.

Two Budgies (not Finches) but thought I would throw them in, can be fun birds, who will keep you entertained for hours.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Finley16
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Finley16 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:51 pm

Thanks for the info...glad to hear...my Finley has been singing all morning..acting fine..I put a heater close to the cage...what I was reading was care for ladygoulds...so glad to hear not that hard..like I said before not new to birds but to ladygoulds..I love him..he comes on my finger when I am in the cage...my birds in the past has been a parrolet had for 7 years..a sun conour..cocketiel...I really love this forum..so glad people get back to ya fast...thanks so much..glad to be part of learning all about my little buddy..
Love my pets..2 dogs..Maltese and yorkie..2 betafish, 2 fish tanks, and of course my ladygould finch..

Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Chihuahua » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:00 pm

I hope you get Finley a friend soon so he can stay happy and healthy! Good luck :)
Toby

2 pied societies (one crested)
2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix

My mom also has two budgies and a dachshund puppy