Zebra finch chest striping

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
stargazerwolf
Pip
Pip

Zebra finch chest striping

Post by stargazerwolf » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:13 pm

I posted this in another area but thought I might get more answers here. I recently adopted 3 female zebra finches, a mother and her daughters, then bought another female from Petsmart. So one of the normal grey zebbies has some chest striping and I don't understand why because I've never seen a female with it. As you can see in the pics, there are no cheek patches and the chest striping is not as much as a male would have. One of the greys is the mother and one is her daughter. The other daughter is the fawn. The Petsmart one is the pied with the white on her wings and head.
Attachments
stripynpied.jpg
3girls.jpg
3girls.jpg (31.85 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
girls.jpg
girls.jpg (20.13 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
Loving owner to Juniper the Aussie/Heeler mix, 8 zebra finches, one pair of red-cheeked cordon blues and one pair of red-billed firefinches.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Zebra finch chest striping

Post by lovezebs » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:20 am

stargazerwolf

Are there any spots under the wings at all?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

stargazerwolf
Pip
Pip

Post by stargazerwolf » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:43 am

lovezebs wrote: stargazerwolf

Are there any spots under the wings at all?
No there aren't
Loving owner to Juniper the Aussie/Heeler mix, 8 zebra finches, one pair of red-cheeked cordon blues and one pair of red-billed firefinches.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:24 pm

stargazerwolf

That's an odd one.

I actually spent quite a bit of time, looking at many Zebra pictures on line, to see if I could find a picture with a female with stripes on the neck/chest, and couldn't find one.

And so..... :-?? :-?? :-??
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:21 am

i think she is a split to BC with her thin tear mark (large & arounded under the eye) , and very marked smudged breast also a sign of /bc .

stargazerwolf
Pip
Pip

Post by stargazerwolf » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:36 pm

haroun wrote: i think she is a split to BC with her thin tear mark (large & arounded under the eye) , and very marked smudged breast also a sign of /bc .
Wow really? That's cool. I never see black cheeks around here. Too bad I can't test it out, 3 of my females are related and the new male I just got is going to breed with my fawn girl (who is either a sister or daughter of the stripy one, but I can't remember which grey was the mother)

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:56 pm

stargazerwolf :-SS Yikes! It IS a hen! for a second i was like, they are mistaken, but NO! it has an orange beak! EEK! Why it she like that? someone tell me why! :shock:
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny