Freeing finches ?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Fraza
Molting
Molting

Freeing finches ?

Post by Fraza » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:29 pm

I was wondering if u could free a bengalease and zebra finch I let out one of my grown up baby finches and let it fly from outside into the house.
But just wondering if they would survive and get in groups with other birds if they where to be let free.
Attachments
IMG_2274.JPG
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Freeing finches ?

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:07 pm

Fraza

First of all it's against the law, and you could get into super big trouble with the authorities.

People who have done this with Java Finches, are the main reason why Javas are now outlawed in many States and I believe some countries as well. They have multiplied to a point where they eat everything in sight, causing major losses for farmers in these areas, and taking away all the food of the indigenous species, driving them near to extinction.

Another reason not to release pet birds, is that they mostly die very quickly. They fall prey to dogs, cats, other birds, cars, kids, etc. They also starve to death, not knowing how or where to find food or water to survive. Weather kills them as well once Winter comes along.

You mention Zebras (Australia) and Societies (Asia), who are not indigenous to England by any means and cannot survive there.

Let me add, that releasing pet birds is an extremely cruel and irresponsible thing to do, and people who do this should not be allowed to own birds, and should be reported to the authorities and the Hunane Society.

I hope that answers your question, so please don't even consider this.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Fraza

I agree with lovezebs.

If you want a bird that you can let out, consider the homing pigeon. If raised at your house and trained properly, it should return. Other birds will not return to an area unless they are breeding (a whole other problem in itself, with non-native birds). Homing pigeons are the only birds I would not discourage for free-flight. They will still need secure housing and good care in order to survive.

Some parrots can be free-flown if supervised, but the number of people who can do this relatively safely is very low. Raptors can also be free-flown while supervised if liscenced, but this comes with a number of other responsibilities, seeing that they are not pets and almost all of their behavior is food-driven.

All birds that are let out are likely to be killed. Those that aren't may breed and become invasive.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:28 pm

I Ann not going to do it I was just asking to see if anyone has done it I couldn't bring my self to do it as it's not fair on them if they die also just because they are little doesn't mean there life isn't important that's why I only let out the one I've had since a baby because my house is the only thing it's ever knew so I knew it would come back also it's pair was inside the house.
Last edited by Fraza on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Also I have been seeing a very pink and white bird flying around aswell just wondering if this is known because I have never seen one
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:36 pm

I wanted to try and do free flying like the VIDEO below but I was asking to see if maybe one got loads it could survive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dvs10EcG3qA
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Fraza

It might work because they're scared and want to go back to their cagemates, but if they get comfortable, they will probably fly off, or get far enough away that a predator feels safe enough to catch them. The trees in the video will provide nice cover for a shortwing or merlin to hunt.

The rare hand-raised finch will remain tame enough to train, but birds tend to notice things most people don't, so they are more likely to get distracted and fly away. An open field would be much safer as far as distractions go, but the bird would likely fly to cover and get lost.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:17 pm

In some parts of greater Phoenix there are large flocks of now feral budgies and lovebirds. Budgies seem to thrive and breed in this climate. Arizona's desert is somewhat like the climate in their native Oz.

I doubt if many finches could survive out there between harsh climate, food supply and predators.

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Not a good idea if you want to keep them safe and sound.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:07 pm

I don't know of any state in which Javas have survived or caused any problems. They do thrive in Hawaii and there are no problems there. At one time I heard there was a small flock in Florida which did not survive. It has been stated that they raid rice fields, but some of the states they are banned in don't grow rice. They are now listed as vulnerable in their native country.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:31 am

Okay thanks for your information I won't even let them out outside now I just thought because the cage is the only thing they have ever knew of they would never leave it but when u put. It like that I see why they would fly as sometimes when a potion flys past the house they dart across the cage.
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Javas are now outlawed in many States
This is no longer the case, Javas can now be shipped and or transported accross state lines
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:21 pm

wilkifam

Really???
Are they now allowed in all the States?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Wilkifam, when did the law change and where could I find it?