Can zebra finches get mixed with different type of finches?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
GoldPanther
Hatchling
Hatchling

Can zebra finches get mixed with different type of finches?

Post by GoldPanther » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:38 pm

What the little says, but I don't mean to live in the same cage. Can they breed with another type of finch? And procreate?
Sorry if this has been asked before but I failed to find the right answer thru the search engine.
If it's possible what's the outcome?
Thanks,
Danny,

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: Can zebra finches get mixed with different type of finch

Post by sparrowsong98 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:50 am

GoldPanther Yep. Then you gotta break out the hybrid bands so they cannot be sold as one or the other, because they are much less valuable. Owls, societies, and zebs do it, and I do not know if other breeds do or not.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:44 am

Zebra finches can cross-breed with many other species, with varying degrees of fertility. This is hybridization, and is generally discouraged. Most offspring of zebras with other species will be infertile.

Finches known to produce young with zebras include society finches, shaft-tail finches, and owl finches.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:54 am

GoldPanther

Here isa few links that may answer your question...

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29924

So yes, Zebras can breed with other species, as mentioned above.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

GoldPanther
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by GoldPanther » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:21 pm

Awesome info guys thank you.

Thanks Elena I just read the thread you posted. I noticed that some people didn't approved of mixing them but I don't see anything wrong with it.
Danny,

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:23 pm

GoldPanther

Elana, she has fine-tuned mixing zebras with other species...she wont steer you wrong.

Me? I wont own one.....ever. But being I will never own one means I am not an expert on how to get them to not cause trouble (cause its their nature).

Elana, she knows those finches well. We should let her be the spoke's person for the species. \M/

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:39 am

Babs GoldPanther

Not an expert by a long shot, my dears.

I have found, that in most cases if Zebras are outnumbered by other species, they will behave themselves better.

In my case, with the Societies and Zebras, they have all just got used to co-existing together and there are no major issues, other than the occasional squabble (which is normal).

That said, you have to use common sense as in all situations, and keep a close eye on things. If you do end up with an extremely aggressive homocidal bird(s) (and there are some), you should definitely pull it/them and be prepaired to house seperately and away from the flock.

There are some lines of Zebras, that tend to be more aggressive than others, and you have no way of knowing that until after you bring them home.

Many of my Zebras have been hatched and grew up around Societies, quite often being fed by Societies (who will feed most hungry chicks), so they have no issues with them whatsoever.

I have never had Zebras and Societies breed together, although it can happen under certain circumstances I am told.

I would however hesitate to house Zebras permanently with the tiny Waxbills, although I have occasionally housed a single Zebra who was being picked on, in flights containing some Waxbills without issues.

I would not house Finches of any species with Hookbille of any species.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

GoldPanther
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by GoldPanther » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Very interesting thanks,
I saw online that people mix American gold finch with canary, the hybrid usually sings prettier than canary. Do you think a zebra could be mixed with a canary? I know the canary is a little taller.
Danny,