Split to black face?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Split to black face?

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:48 am

Hi there, my friend was wondering if her normal hen was split to black face?
Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpeg
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Split to black face?

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:03 am

Nope, generally hens can't be split, only cocks are split as carriers :thumbup:

There is a very slight possibility that with some of the sex linked zebras there can sometimes be hens that can actually carry a sex linked split gene, this is normally as far as I'm aware of only with chestnut flanked whites, fawns and black cheek,

At times dominant birds IE normal zebras need to be paired to make up the correct blood lines of the genetical make up of the sex linked birds,

Basically the answer to yer question is yes that black cheek hens can be split but not necessarily with all black cheek hens as it obviously depends on the genetical make up of the birds within the stud of birds you have,

Hope this sort of makes sence :thumbup:

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:27 am

Okay thanks!

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:29 am

Would she still be able to carry the black face gene tho? And we're just wondering why her tear seems to be quite thick? Thanks!

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 am

Flight Feathers
from that pic, actually i could say she isnt bf and couldnt be /bf because such as possibility doesn't exist only two words in case of dominant mutation mutant or not
@"Stuart whiting" blackface :mrgreen: dominant. :shock: not blackcheek nor sexlinked

Dominant mutation
Bf
Pastel
Crested
Cheeked grey or fawn

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:35 am

Flight Feathers wrote: Would she still be able to carry the black face gene tho? And we're just wondering why her tear seems to be quite thick? Thanks!
No. She cant carry bf gene because it's impossible. But she could be if she isnt already a split for Blackcheek
Smudged chest and thick tear are marks of BC split to

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:47 pm

haroun wrote: Flight Feathers
from that pic, actually i could say she isnt bf and couldnt be /bf because such as possibility doesn't exist only two words in case of dominant mutation mutant or not
@"Stuart whiting" blackface :mrgreen: dominant. :shock: not blackcheek nor sexlinked

Dominant mutation
Bf
Pastel
Crested
Cheeked grey or fawn
I know that mate, I didn't say anything about black face [-X

I know that black cheek or any other sex linked zebra IE chestnut flanked white and fawn are not dominant, I didn't say that they were :-??

What I did say though is to get a good blood line of zebras one needs to now and again add a " Normal " dominant zebra in with the breeding when breeding with sex linked birds :YMSMUG:

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Stuart whiting okSplit i totaly agreed to keep regular grey on the stock to keep a good blood line thing witch i tray to explain to Fraza.
But the question was about the possibility of that hen if she can spliy BF. And ur answer was about dominante grey. that was confusing me but as i said i totally agreed with h
I read also in ur replay that some hen can actualy be split to a sexlinked mutation like fawn, lightback., and CFW and it variantes ino, Ccfw, RCfw, sifert and so on. How it can this possible as the femelle in the bird world is the responsble of the sex of the future offspring. The hen will be mutant if she receives a single copy of the mutation genome it will be fixed in one allele of the sexual chromosome. If she is split to a sexlinked mutation were the genom will take position so!!!!
Ok a cok could be lb split to cfw this is true. But is impossible for a hen because of the unique position in the allele
Hen sex chromosomes are wZ, Cok has ZZ. the sexlinked pass by the Z chromosome. The hen has only one Z so two case mutant or not. Split she cant be.

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Btw. I hesitate to put grey in the diminant mutation because in some country the grey is the wild colo. And not a mutation

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:47 pm

haroun wrote: Stuart whiting okSplit i totaly agreed to keep regular grey on the stock to keep a good blood line thing witch i tray to explain to Fraza.
But the question was about the possibility of that hen if she can spliy BF. And ur answer was about dominante grey. that was confusing me but as i said i totally agreed with h
I read also in ur replay that some hen can actualy be split to a sexlinked mutation like fawn, lightback., and CFW and it variantes ino, Ccfw, RCfw, sifert and so on. How it can this possible as the femelle in the bird world is the responsble of the sex of the future offspring. The hen will be mutant if she receives a single copy of the mutation genome it will be fixed in one allele of the sexual chromosome. If she is split to a sexlinked mutation were the genom will take position so!!!!
Ok a cok could be lb split to cfw this is true. But is impossible for a hen because of the unique position in the allele
Hen sex chromosomes are wZ, Cok has ZZ. the sexlinked pass by the Z chromosome. The hen has only one Z so two case mutant or not. Split she cant be.
Have a look at this part of an article by the zebra finch society uk,

In the article it clearly states that in such cases hens can carry the split resesive factor for the sex link gene IE in pied, penguin and black cheek etc :roll:

I do understand the majority of zebra mutations but wouldn't necessarily say that mutations are me strongest point, however I did feel that the article pictured below is self explanatory
image.png

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:59 pm

haroun wrote: Btw. I hesitate to put grey in the diminant mutation because in some country the grey is the wild colo. And not a mutation
Absolutely haroun, grey is not a mutation and is completely dominant :D

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:06 am

haroun wrote: Flight Feathers

Dominant mutation
Bf
Pastel
Crested
Cheeked grey or fawn
@haroun sorry mate just realised that the initial question was actually regarding " black face " and not black cheek #-o

Yes of course black face dominant and no split hens,

is only very slight possible split differences in hens explaining from the article I put up on screen on me previous post

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:27 am

Stuart whiting do not worry no problem ,i know that u haven't read properly the word Black face .
and we're totally in accordance that a sex-linked hen IE fawn, Light back, CFW can be split of one of any recessive mutation, and no one of us has said the opposite of that , also the first line of the that document stated
that a hen cannot be split for a sexlinked mutation nor for a dominante one :mrgreen:
any bird cok or hen can split for any recessive mutation
no bird cok or hen can be split for dominante mutation
only cok can be split for sex linked mutation , a hen never do so:
we can have for example
SPLIT FOR RECESSIVE
white (recessive) split for ressive(Blackcheek)
pastel (dominante) split for recessive(Blackcheek)
a fawn hen (sexlinked) split for BC
SPLIT FOR A SEXLINKED
Here we found only males we cannot see any hen
white split for CFW
Black face split for LIGHTBACK
LIGHT BACK COK (sexlinked) split for CFW and never the opposite lol .

split for a dominante

-------doesn't exist in both sex------------------

IN Summary
Split for
Dominante Sexlinked Recessive
Male No Yes Yes
Hen No No Yes

and of corse, going by split for is very good for maintaining a good blood line healthy and typed bird ,and this by keeping some normal Grey

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:10 pm

haroun

As you know mate that I do obviously know me zebras but over the years I've just stuck mainly to the basic let's say more common / popular mutations IE chestnut flanked white and the fawns aswell as the normals,
occasionally I've had a few others IE white, light backs, cream and penguin etc but to be perfectly honest haroun the more different mutations there are the more I find it gets confusing #-o

Like I say I'm not exactly the the biggest of mastermind when it comes to mutations but as long as it don't get to in depth I'm generally alright :D

If anything mate yer probably leagues in front of me when it comes to technical situations on mutations :thumbup:

Speak soon