Gouldian Genetics

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
nixity
Molting
Molting

Re: Gouldian Genetics

Post by nixity » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:49 pm

sur wrote:Hi Everyone,
I just bought 2 pairs of gouldian finches
Male is black head, blue back and white chest while female is red head,yellow back and purple chest
while other pair is,
Red head,yellow back and white chest while female is black head,greenback and purple chest.
I want to know what color of babies they will produce and I checked the website, but it is confusing, please help me to understand how can i make silver color gouldian finch.
You need to combine blue and yellow body to get silvers - and the yellows have to be split for blue.

So - a Blue Male x Yellow/Blue hen or a Yellow/Blue Male x Blue Hen would be pairings that could produce Silvers.

sur
Pip
Pip

Post by sur » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks a lot.

Tiffany

Meagan83
Incubating
Incubating

Post by Meagan83 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:20 pm

I have a new blueback male with a black face and white chest. I will be pairing him with a reg greenback hen. I do not know if the male is DF or SF blue. I know that I would get split for blue offspring, but would any of them be visually blue or would they all be green and just carry the blue gene? Sorry if this seems an odd question. Gould genetics CONFUSE me!!! #-o

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:59 pm

Meagan83 wrote:I have a new blueback male with a black face and white chest. I will be pairing him with a reg greenback hen. I do not know if the male is DF or SF blue. I know that I would get split for blue offspring, but would any of them be visually blue or would they all be green and just carry the blue gene? Sorry if this seems an odd question. Gould genetics CONFUSE me!!! #-o
A visually blue gouldian is ipso facto "DF Blue".

They have to carry both copies (aka DF) to be visually blue, as it is a recessive gene.

The offspring from this pair will only be visually blue if your hen is split for blue (or "SF" blue if you prefer to refer to it as such).

Otherwise, they will all just be normal/blue :)

Meagan83
Incubating
Incubating

Post by Meagan83 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:01 am

Aha, okay. Exactly what I was wanting to know. Thanks Nixity.

sunnydove
Nestling
Nestling

Post by sunnydove » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:25 pm

Rottielover, I have done a Google search for the "Gouldian Colors" written by Ricardo Andrade Veras freeware, but have not been able to locate it. Could you provide a link fot it please? Thanks so much!!

Judy
Find a place to be quiet enough to hear what's inside you!!

Fur & Feather Mom of: 1-Maltipoo, 1-Toy Poodle, 1 - Border Collie, 1 -Great Pyrenees, 4-cats, LGF's... RH/WB/BB-Dilute, BH/PB/GB, YH/PB/GB, RH/PB/GB-BLUE, BH/WB/GB, RH/PB/GB.

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Bill

sunnydove
Nestling
Nestling

Post by sunnydove » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:48 pm

TY B Camp. I actually have the Gouldian Genetics Forecast 2.0. I just have difficulty sometimes using it and wanted to see what else there was available. I will check out the first one you sent though and thanks again.

Judy
Find a place to be quiet enough to hear what's inside you!!

Fur & Feather Mom of: 1-Maltipoo, 1-Toy Poodle, 1 - Border Collie, 1 -Great Pyrenees, 4-cats, LGF's... RH/WB/BB-Dilute, BH/PB/GB, YH/PB/GB, RH/PB/GB-BLUE, BH/WB/GB, RH/PB/GB.

atarasi
Weaning
Weaning

Post by atarasi » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:34 am

I have a question regarding the blue backs. It is just me, or is the blue on a white breasted cock a different shade of blue than on a purple breasted cock? The WB cock seems to be more of a cobalt blue. If so, what about the lilac breasted blue?
Jordan

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:21 am

Many thimes the breast color will affect the back color. So a lighter breast, white or lilac will lighten the back to a turquoise tint on blues, where the purple breast will be a deeper blue tint.
On dilutes or pastels this is very evident. For example the back on a green dilute with a purple breast will be green to lime green. If the dilute has a whilte of lilac breast then the back will be yellow with a tinge of green.(lemon-lime) This is why many people call them single factor yellow. The dilute and the SF yellow are the same bird genetically but due to the different colored breast makes the back appear to be different colors. But both of these birds are considered to be a single factor pastel green.

bluebutterfly213
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by bluebutterfly213 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:20 pm

sunnydove wrote:Y B Camp. I actually have the Gouldian Genetics Forecast 2.0. I just have difficulty sometimes using it and wanted to see what else there was available. I will check out the first one you sent though and thanks again.
There is a version 3 now. Maybe the newer version will get rid of the problems. When I got the newer version it didnt affect the version 2. I still have both on the computer and can use either version
Diane

Winter, the season in which most people try to keep the house as warm as it was in the summer, when they complained about the heat.

atarasi
Weaning
Weaning

Post by atarasi » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:38 pm

CandoAviary wrote:Many thimes the breast color will affect the back color. So a lighter breast, white or lilac will lighten the back to a turquoise tint on blues, where the purple breast will be a deeper blue tint.
On dilutes or pastels this is very evident. For example the back on a green dilute with a purple breast will be green to lime green. If the dilute has a whilte of lilac breast then the back will be yellow with a tinge of green.(lemon-lime) This is why many people call them single factor yellow. The dilute and the SF yellow are the same bird genetically but due to the different colored breast makes the back appear to be different colors. But both of these birds are considered to be a single factor pastel green.
Thanks Candace. The combination that always confuses me is a SFYB with PB. They can be as yellow as a SFYB with a WB, or they can be very green like a dilute.
Jordan

lea
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by lea » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:22 am

i'm combining blue body, white breast, black head hen with silver body purple breast and red head cock.
1. is it good combination?
i have yellow and green goulds too.
2. what should i do, if in future i want white ones?

Foosa101
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Foosa101 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Awesome post!! Thank you for sharing! =D> =D> =D>

lea
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by lea » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:19 am

i have RH WC YsfB male, his wings side feathers darkens to the end, and he has a few dark feather on his back, what does it mean?