What are these guys?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Nagdabit
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

What are these guys?

Post by Nagdabit » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:22 pm

Recently we added 6 zebras to our flock. The lady we got them off of told us that three of them were FF's. Now that they are starting to color in we're thinking that there's a little more going on. I'm gonna try this photobucket thing and see if I can get the pics included in the message. I've added a pic of one of the boys and another of him with his sister. If you kind folks would take a gander at the pics and give us your opinions we'd greatly appreciate it.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:06 pm

Looks like they may be orange breast / phaoes in there. Sometimes if you just breed a bunch of zebra mutations and allow them to choose there own mate you can end up with just about anything.
I use to have some that thier whole head became orange...they were phaoes you couln't even tell where the cheek spots were. Check out Landry's Zebra page.
He has been working on Zebra color genetics for a while www.zebrafinch.com/ - 22k

blueribbontoes

Post by blueribbontoes » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:35 pm

Very pretty!

Bama
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Bama » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:06 pm

I agree with Candace - from what I can see in the photo I would say phaoes - when they moult you might see even a bit more orange on the head. Adult phaoes with the nice orange heads and orange laceing on the feathers a really attractive birds.