funny genetics or not old enough?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

funny genetics or not old enough?

Post by Thalia » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:54 pm

My zebra babies are not turning out how I expected. Andie is, I'm pretty sure a CFW, although she is really grey on her head and her tail bars and eye stripe are darker than I've seen in pics of other CFW hens. Sam is normal, so he could be split for something. Out of 4 babies only 1 has developed a black chest patch and orange with white spotted side patches (you know the ones by the wings). All the babies have the black eye stripe, their chest are cream and their backs are pale grey. Could the one baby have hatched days before the others or are my genetics a little funny? I'll post some pics after John gets off my computer and I can upload them. None of the babies have the orange cheeks yet either. All the babies have the same amount of black on their beaks, just the very tips are still black, which I figured meant they're roughly the same age. I kinda want to know if these are a special colour b/c then I might be able to haggle a little at the store for them.

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:12 pm

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:10 am

My suspicion is they are not done molting yet. Zebras tend to complete their molt at around 3 months of age.

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:13 am

oh ok, so is the little guy who's got more colour older or just a faster molter do you think?

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:53 pm

May be a faster molter, or the only male.