in desperate need of red factor females canary

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

in desperate need of red factor females canary

Post by andiok » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:19 pm

I am sry if this is not the right place to post this
BUT i am in a desperate need of a red females.
hopefully any fellow Canadian will be able to help me.
i am in Regina, Sk and its been over 6months that i am looking for at least one red factor female.
petsmart and petland wont take orders. otheR petstores only have the random old canary there and wont eveN consider ordering females so i dont know what to do anymore.
i got both of my males at pEtsmart but they wont heLp with females. the south end store alrEady has tow yellow females but i dont wont to mix with yellow and red.

if you know of any online stores or stores that will ship for a deceNt price please advice.
thank you all

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Re: in desperate need of red factor females canary

Post by Jamm972 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:19 pm

andiok you can breed a red factor male with a yellow female. And the babies will carry the red factor gene. You just need to color feed them to make them turn red.

Just keep in mind when you breed with a yellow canary the outcome of the babies might be verigated. So you can get their feathers to come in red by color feeding them but their variegated colors will also show. If the babies are all yellow with atleast 1 red factor parent then you can color feed to make the babies become red. Keep in mind that the yellow adult canary might change color when color feeding. This is normal and not to worry. It will works.

The reason you can breed with a yellow canary is because if you don't color feed a red factor it's feathers eventually fall out and become yellow. Best of luck k to you. ;)

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:58 pm

Jamm972
thx for the advice but honestly its not the way to go on color canaries.
mixing yellow with red as you know, will lead to some really unpleasant results. Ill wait and if i cant find any red hens then ill get a dominant white. that way i would get diluted red factors and whites and i could fix an ivorio red line on the way...
will see what happens.

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:57 pm

andiok not sure what you mean by unpleasant results please share because this is what I was taught and this is my 1st year breeding canaries. I have variegated canaries, red factor canaries, Dominant white, and crested. I know you cant breed a dominant white with a a dominant white and a crested with a crested because you get almost 100% death. but what's the deal with a yellow and a red factor. The whole purpose of the red is its a gene that's passed on to the babies. and if properly color fed you can get a beautiful; turn out of red factors. I have 2 paired up canaries right now 2 that appear to be red factors as whole and 1 that is variegated red factor with a red factor.

I mean after all if you don't color feed a red factor they start to turn yellow as the color fades out of their blood stream.

So if I'm doing something wrong and or don't know something you do please share?

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:42 pm

Jamm972 wrote: andiok
1)not sure what you mean by unpleasant results

Do not breed yellow to red factor because both traits will be diluted
these are the results. the bird is not a red and not a yellow

[ [url=https://s31.postimg.org/moit4lec7/red_yellow.jpg] ][/url]

a red factor canary won't turn yellow if not color fed.
his feathers are still be orange to red.
here is a pic of a red factor that lost his color fed feather (you can tell the color fed feather still not molted on his head)

[ [url=https://s32.postimg.org/qncsvwfld/red_non_colorfed.jpg] ][/url]

even breeding between red factors has its own rules. for a perfect feather :
You shouldn't breed red intensive with red intensive.
You should breed red intensive with red frosted.
But you can breed red frosted with red frosted if needed.

2) I know you cant breed a dominant white with a a dominant white and a crested with a crested because you get almost 100% death.

you got this right.
is best pairing the white dominants with yellows
you get 50% white dominants and 50% yellows

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:52 am

My personal favorite canary morph is the red/yellow cross. Such a lovely, varied orange hue!
~Dylan

~~~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:14 pm

Jamm972
open a thread about your canaries and you'll get more advises on color bred canaries from other members. the title of my threat wont help you