Male Canary pulling out Female's Feathers

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
lancerguy
Pip
Pip

Male Canary pulling out Female's Feathers

Post by lancerguy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:11 pm

We have a male yellow crested canary and a female brownish agate canary. The male is pulling feathers out of the female. He pulls them from her sides below her wing, above her leg area. I'm afraid if he continues at the current rate, her legs may be bald in a few months. He seems to pull 2-3 a day from her. She does not seem to mind at all. She does not flinch, they do not squabble or fight, and they always hang out together so I don't think he is doing it to pick on her, etc.

It started out he was plucking out these real small poofy, down-like feathers, but now he plucks out decent size straight/sharp feathers, the ones that give her color and shape so I'm starting to worry.

Should I separate them temporarily by taking him out? What do you think would be a good option? I googled but couldn't find any info about the male pulling the females feathers, only info on the female pulling her own feathers.

PS We believe he is a male because he sings all the time and his tail is heart shaped. We believe she is a female because she does not make any noise, and her tail is very straight.

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Male Canary pulling out Female's Feathers

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Seems like you need more space for these two. Maybe some silk ficus plants to hide in. My males do tend to spar a little but mostly with other males during the breeding season.

Paul
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.