New Canary Forum

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Re: New Canary Forum

Post by Pukasand » Thu May 31, 2012 6:28 pm

Whoohoo.. we're gettin' just like 'downtown'... =D> :lol:
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

Zebrafincher
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by Zebrafincher » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:29 am

Sounds great! I wish there was a surefire way to 'sex' canaries, as I've had 3 'males' that turned out to be females - eggs thankyou! They've been great pets, but egg binding has been an issue.

MissEdie
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by MissEdie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:59 am

Thank you :D
I have a Pair of Canaries.I also have an Aviary(video) with a bunch of finches in it.
Red cheek Cordon blues, Owls,Star finches, Green singers,Fire Finches, Orange cheek wax bills and a lone Orange weaver.

imac
Nestling
Nestling

Post by imac » Sat May 30, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi. Can anyone help with this question. .ive outdoor aviary with male/female canary in it..they will not sleep in box they sleep in branches in aviary..will they get cold.its nearly june here ireland now but weather not great yet..roof is all covered and part sides halfway down aviary..

Leo519
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Leo519 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:14 pm

imac

They should be fine, canaries actually don't care for sleeping in a nest or box (unless they're sitting on eggs). They like sleeping on perches :D
Laura

Society, Spice, and Owl finches, Gouldians
Red Cheeked Cordon Bleus, Senegal Fire finches
American Singer canary

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:47 am

Sally I just wanted to say thank you so much for allowing us canary breeders to use this forum as well. It has been a very big help in my first year as a breeder of canaries.

Thank you! :)

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:39 am

Jamm972 When Crystal first set up this forum in 2006 and when I joined in 2007, it was a finch-only forum. Many members also had canaries and/or hookbills, and their posts were lost in the Off-topic forum. Crystal decided to add these other forums (canary, hookbill, dove/quail) so that members could discuss their other bird pets, and they have proven to be quite popular. Glad you found this forum helpful!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org