Leg mites

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Sandra
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Re: Leg mites

Post by Sandra » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:55 pm

Thanks Debbie! I'll wait then ...

I didn't know if the s76 was a 'deluted' for of the real Ivermectin.

I'll use the 76 as directed, should arrive beginning of next week. BTW I'll be treating my 2 Goulds! I can't remember if I shared same dishes but I know my canary and 2 goulds shared same bath as I only have 1!! I only rinsed the bath between the 2 cages. :(

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:14 pm

Sandra - This type of mite usually requires direct contact, so chances are slim that they'll have been transferred to the gouldians from a dish.

But you never know. Stranger things have happened!
And when it comes to parasites, I always err on the side of caution, opting to treat if there's a question of whether someone is infested. It's way better than the alternative (waiting until the infestation is apparent and by that time, they've spread it to 20 other birds!)
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:48 pm

I agree with MiaCarter, especially since you have just two cages to deal with. Better to treat everyone now than wait and have the mites pop up again.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:32 am

Have a question about Mites. I know most bird Mites need to have a source of Blood from Birds in order to survive, but will live off another source until it comes in contact with a viable meal source. Right now most of my birds are not showing any signs of mites. They are actively breeding, singing, eating. 1 of the birds however is not acting normal, it started to molt early this year, plus he refused to breed. I have had this bird for about 4 years. It looks like he is itching a lot, I don't think I have an infestation, but if I do what are techniques to treat the house and home as well? I know you can use soap and hot water or rubbing alcohol to treat rugs and to clean cages. Is this actually effective. I do use on each cage a bird protector. Should my family be concerned. Some one who came and visited said they feel they were getting bit by something and was itching a lot. Any suggestions. This is my first year at breeding I have done my best at up keeping the cleaning and supplying a nutritional diet and fresh water daily. I was told by a local vet that I shouldn't treat unless I have a known apparent infestation. because some chemicals can cause more harm than good or force a Molt causing more stress. Pointers and suggestions.

Also do you risk transferring and or spreading the mites else were in the house if you touch the birds that you are treating?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Tonight I'm going to try the White Cloth method on each cage just to see if the white cloth shows signs of any mites that just had there breakfast blood meal. I herd this is the best method rather than attempting to catch the birds and then fondle it for an inspection.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon May 16, 2016 11:36 am

Those bird mite protectors that are sold by pet stores actually aren't safe to use around birds! Their main ingredient is the same thing that is in mothballs. If you scroll down this link, you will see a picture of one of these mite protectors. A safe product to use in the home is Vetafarm's Avian Insect Liquidator.

http://www.finchinfo.com/general/toxic_ ... angers.php
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org