When to check or remove eggs

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Bahadir
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: When to check or remove eggs

Post by Bahadir » Sun May 01, 2016 7:14 pm

Animalzoo

I liked your cages and birds! They are so cute and you are really successful. I wish to see you aviary room oneday:D Also as i told you yesterday, i got a pair of finchs. I have learned today they are zebra finchs. I put a nest in cage, some burlap sack strings 2 inchs long. I gave them egg food, bone, mineral grid, cucumber, orange, apple, lettuce and green pepper. Also a bath. Now i just wait.

Monday morning it is 13th days of my canaries clutch. I am really excited and i cant sleep, i want to see their chick even from 1 of 4 eggs.

Wish me luck, friends. Let's see these chicks! We worked hard for that!

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Animalzoo » Mon May 02, 2016 2:54 am

Bahadir Good luck for today. Maybe today or tomorrow they will hatch :)

Zebra finches are so easy and will get right on with it. If you practice gently stroking or tapping on the nest when they are in there and slowly opening the top they will be used to that when they have babies. This way you can monitor the eggs and chicks everyday without disturbing the parents. Do this once a day around the same time and all will be well. The male will start the nest building and the female will make adjustments. The start to sit on the eggs after the 3rd is laid. They can lay 4-6 eggs and they only take 12-14 days after incubation starts to hatch. By 3-4 weeks they fledge the nest and by 4-5 weeks they re weaned and independant. Simple!

Take the nest out as soon as the babies have fledged. THey will return to the nest at night but it is ok to take it out anyway once they are all out in the daytime. This way the parents wont start on the next clutch. If they do they may start to fight with their babies before they are weaned. The main way to stop breeding finches is with the removal of the nest.

Also, zebras can fight....a lot! So if you are planning on keeping the babies, be prepared that you may need to split up babies from parents of boys and girls. Hope that helps.
Sue.x

Bahadir
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Bahadir » Mon May 02, 2016 12:37 pm

Animalzoo

Hello;

These finches are crazy, not like canaries. Today i been woke up by their fight. Female was attacking male, male was trying to mate and he is still beeping. So funny to watch them.

And i did not see any of the canaries's egg hatched yet. She is still laying, i am waiting. I take myself under control for not checking eggs. I have 2 exams tomorrow but i cant study even because of the eggs :D

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Animalzoo » Tue May 03, 2016 4:26 pm

Bahadir How is the egg hatching going? Do you have babies yet?

@Jamm972 Hope you're ok, I havent heard from you for a few days. Are all the birds ok?

Mine are plodding along. The 5 babies that Scully is feeding are growing well and doing ok. All the same size, it's great.

The 2nd egg that came from Jill that didnt hatch finally did yesterday. So Cher is now raising Jill's other 2 babies. They're doing great. Her own eggs were not fertile so I removed them so she could focus on Jill's babies.

Juliet's eggs are due this Saturday....well no in fact a few days after maybe as her first egg was laid on the 23rd. 14 days is Saturday 7th for egg 1 which as we know is not the way to do it, so more like Monday timing from egg no.3. I've not candled her eggs again (yet) as the last time I did it only 1 was fertile.

The family in the flight cage are fine. They're having little mini squabbles but its not all out fighting. Everyone is healthy and no feathers have been plucked.

I spoke to my boyfriend about buying that big cage setup. He was still eager but I think I have persuaded him to wait for Autumn. I said we can buy more birds around then. He spoke up saying we could just keep our babies from this season but I'm against this as I want new fresh genes in the mix. I reminded him that I want the glosters, crested, white and Red factors. I told him we may aswell just go and get the good old plain yellow looking one too as we don't have those. He nodded and said we'd talk to the breeder we buy them all from to see what he has. He left it that he would be in touch as and when stock arrives.

I will still keep one or two from Jill's though. I'll chose the prettiest and go for females to even the keel with genders.

So for now, apart from the canaries I'm winding down all the breeding with my finches. We've stopped all the budgies and the adults are now in rest in the outside aviary, and today I moved my zebras and societies out there too. Hopefully they wont be bullied by the budgies so we'll see.

I will keep going with the canaries, Javas and Lovebirds and then as they are done, put them all into rest. It's been full on! My boyfriend thought you could keep going with canaries all year round but I explained their annual routine and said after the 3rd round thats it.

We should therefore have a relatively peaceful summer. I hope so anyway 8)
Sue.x

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Animalzoo » Tue May 03, 2016 4:28 pm

Jamm972 I tried to tag you before but I don't think worked. I just wanted to check in on you and make sure you're ok. You've been too quiet. :shock:
Sue.x

Bahadir
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Bahadir » Wed May 04, 2016 3:19 am

Hello Jamm972 Animalzoo

I still wait the chicks. No action from eggs. I will wait 2 days more and if they dont hatch, i am going to remove them from nest.

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Animalzoo » Wed May 04, 2016 4:06 am

Bahadir Have you candled the eggs?
Sue.x

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:09 am

Animalzoo I'm Christopher by the way. So sorry I have been so busy at home turning the laundry room into an office and bird room. I am driving to NY alone, my other half is staying home to take care of the birds and other animals. Almost have the new room ready for the transition. Problem is they don't get the morning sunlight in the new room. They will have a window, it is a little smaller but gives off daylight, just no sunlight until the afternoon and evening time. I hope this wont effect their cycle to much. Meaning they stop sitting on their eggs and or stop feeding their babies.

Its a stressful time for both the birds and us. A lot of moving around, cleaning, and activity. kinda sucks but it needs to be done.

Here is the answer to your question on ending the season of breeding the canaries. Why don't you let the Canaries decide. Don't give up on them to soon. Let them keep trying until 1. they have atleast 2 to 3 successful clutches. or 2. You observe them going into a Molt.

I did some research on breeding Father Daughter. There is no harm in doing so. As a matter of fact it encourages a stronger blood line. However, getting Father Daughter to accept one another is the difficult part. Sometimes its done instantly. others you have to work at it. I am doing this research not only for you because I miss Juliet already. but because I am considering Breeding Donald and Whitey for Shows. Doing this is a good practice to increase a strong Bloodline of what you are breeding. For example. Donald and Whitey are my strongest Breeding pair. Breeding them with their own blood line will pass the knowledge and experience on to the child they are breeding with but as well as producing a stronger bloodline that has the parents knowledge as well as the singing and breeding knowledge.

Sorry if that's to confusing. Only issue is breeding a soft feather with a hard feather. I didn't understahd what they were talking about. I assume its the same as breeding a dominant white with a dominant white, or a crested with a crested. With these cases you would need to breed a variegated with a dominant. So I will be looking into the soft and hard feathers as well as The restricted pairings of canaries. I don't want to pair up 2 canaries that shouldn't be paired.

So....Here is my update:

Donald and whitey have 4 strong babies. it looks like 3 crested this time and 1 regular. I am uncertain of the color at this point. but I am so excited to see the outcome.

Noname and Stud are sitting on 4 to 5 eggs. I haven't had the heart to shoo her off the nest to see if she laid more than 4. They are due not this Sunday but next Sunday.

Blanca and Zorro, same goes for them. She is sitting on 4 to 5 eggs. and as always she wont budge from the nest to check. So I will have a surprise. They are due to hatch not this Saturday but next Saturday.

Now here is the kicker....Tails and Orangie. They have finished the nest and have been definitely doing the mating ritual, mounting and all. I haven't seen Tails sitting in the nest yet to lay eggs but I think she is about there. So prolly in about another 2 days. Sad thing is I wont be here to pull out the eggs and put them back in when the 4th one is laid. but I'm sure they will be ok.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed. Because I think Blanca and Whitey might want to go for a 3rd clutch. Whitey is already trying to gather nesting material. And if I know Blanca, she will want to compete with Whitey. And I'm almost positive that Noname and tails will have at least 2 clutches in them if the first round works out and are fertile. I am sure I can handle it. It just means I will have to pick and choose which ones to keep and which ones to sell.

Oh one last thing. We finally named Blanca's 2 babies. Sun because it is mostly yellow with White feathers, and other one is Mostly White with very few feathers. I think Moon is a Dominant White Canary. Or at least a recessive white.
Sun and Moon are almost ready to be put with the other 3 Juvenile's. However Blackeye and Jr and Mello Yellow are being aggressive. Mostly when it comes to eating. That's when most of the fighting occurs. I have a feeling I might have to add more food dishes in the flight cage. I also moved them to a bigger flight cage because I will need the breeder cage when it comes time to clean and disinfect the other cages 1 by 1 after these clutches. First one on the list is Donald and Whitey. When the babies are at 14 days old I will transfer everything to a new cage but have the set up exzactly the same nest and all. Even though the nest is dirty just don't want to have to much interruption. Just to be sneaky. My other half wants me to not breed them a 3rd time but I will add in a new nest and nesting material just to see if they want to go for a 3rd. if they show no signs in 3 days after the new stuff is added I will remove it, Put Whitey in the flight cage and Allow Daddy to finish up on the weaning.

On Closing. I leave Thursday morning. that's in about 30 hours. and will return home in about 8 days. I'm going to try and make it to NY in time to spend mothers day with my mom.

I will try to stay in touch on my lap top but that might be hard because I'm driving a lot. But I also wont have much to say except what the other half tells me about the babies.

That's all for now. Hope to hear how things are making out at your end. And yes I am going to be shopping for a red Mosaic Canary. I think they are pretty.

Take care have a good morning. Its my night right now :)

<<<<Hugs>>>>

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:14 am

Bahadir wrote: Hello Jamm972 Animalzoo

I still wait the chicks. No action from eggs. I will wait 2 days more and if they dont hatch, i am going to remove them from nest.
If they aren't Fertile Bahadir don't swet it. It just means they weren't on the same page when they started. But remove the infertile eggs. and allow 7 to 10 days for them to try another round. When I first started it took Whitey about 5 days but took Blanca 12 days. So its just a matter of how much time they need to get going again. Usually throwing in some extra nesting material encourages them to try sooner rather than later. If the eggs are infertile, then you don't have to take out the currently built nest. Let them resue that one, but like I mentioned just add dome fresh nesting material incase they want to make some improvements.

I wont be on as much the next week and half but will try to check if you have any questions or concerns. But I'm sure Animalzoo will be here to answer any questions as well.

Keep us posted on what is happening.

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Animalzoo » Wed May 04, 2016 5:00 am

Jamm972
Hi, nice to hear from you and faceook s another source or sharing too :D

I suppose I got a little downhearted after Jill died and thought al would be hard work but seeing her babies thrive with the foster mums I have some encouragement.

I will be letting the birds do their own thing for sure and as you say once I see signs of molting then thats the last clutch they will be on.

Currently I'm down to 3 active pairs now but the collection of babies in the flight cage is fun to see and as each clutch finishes the colours are interesting so I can chose which ones I want to keep. I'm not naming any right now, I dont want to jinx anything :shock:

Good luck on your journey. It's such a distance I can't comprehend but I feel you and your partner have made the right choice for him to stay back and keep and eye on them. I'm sure as you're away he will be attentive and check on them a lot in fear he misses something critical. He'll be a good babysitter hehe

You say you will be moving the cages to the new office/bird room. My only thought is to do this after the babies have fledged and are away from the nest. Hens can be spooked by too much change and may abandon eggs or chicks. When they've all fledged you're safe. The afternoon, evening sunlight will be fine. I think natural light is key, not direct sunlight though. Your climate is a little hotter than mine by the sounds of it so no direct sunlight is better ot the birds may cook! Do you have air conditioning? Just keeping them at a good ambient temp in natural light is good enough. By the time true summer time hits then you will have a good 16 hours of natural light for them to go by. It won't bother them about loosing the morning sun. They'll be fine. Moving them at the right time is important though.

I can't wait to move my cages around. It's killing me their current position and setup. I can't wait to reorganise but all the while they are breeding I'm not going to make any changes. As soon as the season is over I'm on it!

Take care and ttys
Sue.x

Bahadir
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Bahadir » Wed May 04, 2016 6:53 am

Animalzoo

I did not candle the eggs because i am afraid to get her away from nest and i dont want to break eggs. They seem too weak to handle.
I hope everything is fine at there for you and birds.

Bahadir
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Bahadir » Thu May 05, 2016 6:46 am

Hello,

Today i removed all eggs in nest. They were not fertile. It made me sad.I was waiting with hopes but it did not happen good. I hope they can mate again.

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Animalzoo » Thu May 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Bahadir
Did you check the eggs with a torch to see if they were fertile. Even if they are not it is good to practice.

I have candled Romeo and Juliets eggs today, they are due on Saturday. 2 out of 5 will hatch and are fertile. It's better than nothing!

Your couple will work out the eggs are gone and will start mating again. By about 7-10 days you may start seeing eggs again. It usually takes about 3-4 days for the hen to complete the egg making cycle before she lays. Yours will get there dont worry. Mine and Jamm972 have had to have a few attempts, it's normal.
Sue.x

Bahadir
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Bahadir » Thu May 05, 2016 7:28 pm

Animalzoo

Hi;
Yes i have candled the eggs before remove. I have seen just yolk. I broken them too. They were really warmed but just infertile. Now i removed nest too. I will plug nest on after 3-4 days again. I will give them vit e, selenium and iodine extra. Male is happy to see her around of him again. He started to sing. She is looking well also. They have appetite, chirps, taking bath and eating fruits and veggies. I wish them to success fertilization this time. Thank you Animalzoo ans Jamm972. Let's wait them for new process. I want to success.

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Animalzoo » Fri May 06, 2016 3:52 am

Bahadir
Oh that's nice they are well and happy. You can leave the nest in there though. It will promote her to start again sooner. You can leave it already made up, the hen may make little changes but will encourage her to start again.

Hope that helps. 8)
Sue.x