When to check or remove eggs

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

When to check or remove eggs

Post by Jamm972 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:26 am

So I am on day 12 to 14 for my canary eggs. 1 clutch only 1 egg survived the others were thrown out of the nest of fell out of the nest and the insides were eaten. The other clutch from another pair last I check had 3 eggs. when I got back from vacation the hen hasn't gotten off the nest for me to see if there is still eggs there. No I didn't leave the birds unattended I had a sitter to change water and fresh food.

I am hoping that in a few more days I will have babies. Should I check the eggs when the hen gives me a chance to or leave it be. if eggs are unfertile do I remove the eggs immediately or leave them in the nest for the hen to rest. I have been told 2 different strategies. When 1st clutch is done remove the nesting material and put fresh material in for them to start new. and another breeder told me just to reuse what is there that the hen will remove what is no longer good. both have its advantages, I'm just not sure which is more practiced.

Any pointers or advice?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: When to check or remove eggs

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:41 am

Jamm972

Birds eating their own eggs, is usually a sign that their diets are lacking in calcium and protein.

What sort of diet are you feeding?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:49 pm

I'm giving them a mixture of egg protein, vitamin seed, vitamin water, song bird seed, leafy greens, apples and other fruits, a dried fruit mixture as well. high grit. cuttle bone, a breeding mixture, as well as their regular diet seed I feed year round. I do a table spon of each and change it out every 2 days.

adoumski
Mature
Mature

Post by adoumski » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:56 pm

Jamm972 your diet is nice and varried,

check if the water vitamin has Vit D in it. Because if your birds are not getting direct sunlight, they will need a suppliment with vit d. In order for their bodies to absorb the calcium.
Adam
Officially nicknamed Radagast by my family =))

Canaries: norwich, borders, glosters, lizzards, timbrados,
red factor, fifes
Stewy a Pied Cockatiel Male

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:31 pm

Jamm972

Diet sounds ok.
Have you tried offering hard boiled eggs (both yolk and white)? Also the shells from these eggs, crushed and offered with your grit mix.

With breeding pairs, I would offer eggs every day, and continue with this while they are raising young.

Regarding the nest, I would definitely offer a clean nest for each clutch .
As to candling the eggs, if these eggs are very close to hatching, I would wait until after the due date to check (if they don't hatch).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:56 pm

The first eggs were laid on the 15th. so they should have begun incubating by the 19th. by my calculations, they should be hatching in about 5 more days, but am debating to wait 10 just to be safe. then remove the eggs and clean the nest and allow the hen to start over again. I just didn't want her to get exhausted or not have enough time to recuperate from the first clutch.

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:09 am

Can somebody explain the difference between an air sack in an egg and the bloodline? I checked my eggs today and it looks like the bottom part of the egg is completely dark but at the top has a line going around which looks like an air sack and or a possible bloodline. I am so confused. There isn't a good video or forum to follow for canary specific candling eggs.

adoumski
Mature
Mature

Post by adoumski » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:04 am

Hey Jamm972 from what you described, your egg is fertile and the chick is prob 8-9 days old.
The blood lines u see are indication the egg is fertile, otherwise non will be visible. The airsack is the clear part that the bloodvessels surround and absorb oxygen. As the chick grows, the airsack will diminish in size. The dark part u saw is the chick.
Hope this was helpful, didnt know how else to explain.
Adam
Officially nicknamed Radagast by my family =))

Canaries: norwich, borders, glosters, lizzards, timbrados,
red factor, fifes
Stewy a Pied Cockatiel Male

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:53 am

Here's a picture of an egg 14 days after incubation
14-after 12 days.JPG
Here it is the 16th day, notice the beak is now in the air sac
16-after 14 days.JPG
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:39 pm

debbie276 the 16 day egg is that about to hatch? I thought the incubation period was 14 to 16 days? All this information I am taking in and following as much advice as I can. All I can do is hope for the best. I do know that usually first year breeders get better as they grow and progress each year. I'm sure in a year or 2 I will also be giving out advice and what worked for me :0)

Thanks to everybody that is being very helpful. It is not going unappreciated.

HUGS<<<<<<>>>>>>

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:15 pm

The egg hatched shortly after I took that picture on the 16th day of incubation.
16 is within the 14-16 day average incubation time :wink:
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:52 pm

debbie276 great thanks for the information, my eggs look almost like yours do, but they are on I believe day 12/13. So a few more days to go. Keeping fingers crossed.

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:05 pm

I have 1 baby from 1 clutch. :) the baby looks strong and healthy and looks like they are taking after the hen. :) I haven't been able to check the other nest. the Hen wont budge. Both the Hen and the Male seem to be good parents. Now to wait and see :)

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:59 am

Good luck, keep us posted :)
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Animalzoo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:39 am

Hi Jamm972,

I've just read through your post with much anticipation because I have a canary hen sitting on 4 eggs that were laid the same sort of time as yours. 1st egg came on 14th Feb. I was expecting hatching yesterday/today but so far nothing has happened. I candled them this morning and I don't think they are fertile but I was nervous about disturbing the hen too much by removing the eggs completely. I shone the torch on each one inside the nest very quickly then left them alone for the hen to sit back on top.

I'm familiar with candling budgie and finch eggs but canaries are a first. As they are coloured with brown speckles all over them I can't tell if I'm seeing speckled egg shell or darkness inside.

Still, I feel I need to leave her another 5 or 6 days before I take them out to inspect them properly. I'm about 75% sure they are not fertile however. Booo. :-Q

I'll follow your progress and let you know how I get on too. :-BD
Sue.x