Basic questions from new member and newbie breeder

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Bahadir
Hatchling
Hatchling

Basic questions from new member and newbie breeder

Post by Bahadir » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:49 am

Hello Everyone, I am Bahadir from Turkey. It is pleasure to meet you all and being a member of the finchforum.

I have just started to feed canary and i bought a pair of gloster in 20 march. I took them home and placed them diffirent cages, male and female. I did not let them to see eachothers for a week and i gave them seeds, dry fig, apple, multivitamins and vit E with in egg food, bone and mineral sand.

She was chirping, jumping, playing with nesting materials and she was so energic and cheerful. Male bird was singing but not so loudly. He was singing when i played a canary song records. Also he was singing in the morning early times when female was chirping and attracting him.

After a week they did not see eachother, i allowed them to see eachothers. They started to watch eachother from their own cages. But he stopped to sing, already he was singing a little even he cant see female. In this situation i kept them watching eachother for 4-5 days.

Yesterday afternoon, i putted male into females cage. I though he would attract her with loudly and strong sings but no, he did not care her, he did not chirp a voice even. Just eating drinking bathing and not seeing her even. She always tries to stay him but he is not interested her.

I am sad about that because i did not imagine like this. Did i meet them earlier than right time? What happens if i separate him back to his cage? Or did they mate already when i was not at home?

I hope someone can understand what's going on there?

Thanks.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Basic questions from new member and newbie breeder

Post by Sally » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:21 pm

Bahadir Welcome to the forum! I don't know anything about canaries, but others do have them and hopefully can give you some advice. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier later on when members are answering your questions.

I did delete your other post, since it was basically the same as this one. When you are a new member, your posts will go into the moderator queue and wait for a moderator to approve them. You won't see them right away because of this, but we do try to get to them as soon as we can.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:03 pm

Bahadir

Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

First of all, how old are your Canaries?
You mentioned, that your boy was just starting to sing a little, which makes me wonder if he is still very young. Birds, should be at least around a year old to breed.

What size cage do you have them in? Bigger, is always better.

In regards to diet. Finch seed, Canary seed mixture is good.
Hard boiled eggs, are high in protein, and very good for birds, especially when breeding, and raising babies.

Green vegetables, like spinach, kale, Romain lettuce, beet greens, broccoli, cucumber slices, grated carrot, corn on the cob, are all very good. Fruits, such as apple and orange slices, will be appreciated.

Crushed egg shells, are very important for Calcium .

Sunlight and a daily bath are important as well.

What type of nest have you offered them, by the way?

If they have a spacious cage, good food, a good nest, and nesting materials, then it will only take time, and patience from you :D .

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Ahmet_Menderes
Pip
Pip

Post by Ahmet_Menderes » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:43 am

Merhaba (hi) Bahadir

It was better to put them at the same cage with separator in the middle
you can remove the separatore only and only once the male starts feeding the female

this works much easier as they both will stay at the same cage

Bahadir
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Bahadir » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:05 am

Hello lovezebs;

Thanks for reply. My canaries are about 2 years adult. Their cage size 50x40x40. I gave them a nest hanging up from cage's door. I placed a wool tissue floor of the nest. It is looking enough comfortable. Nest material is burlap sack's strings.

About his songs, He was not singing crazy, he was singing low loud and he was singing when i play records of canary voices and female was chirping.

Otherwise they are totally healhty and they are satisfied of their lifes at the moment. They are jumping in cage, eating, drinking. Noone and nothing disturb them. But male is not interested with female. She is working hard to get his attention but he is not looking at her. That's what makes me worried about them.

Have a good day. Thanks.

Bahadir
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Bahadir » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:06 am

Ahh i forgot to ask lovezebs. Cucumber, orange, lettuce? Do i have to give these always?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:23 am

Bahadir

Good day.

When you say 50 x40 x 40 cage, are we talking centimeters or inches? If you are talking inches, then that's a very good size cage. If you are taking centimeters, then the cage is way way too small for any bird, let alone a pair, and it is not likely that they will breed for you.

Birds need room to fly, to remain happy and healthy, and they need to be happy and healthy to breed. A cage of at least 30 width , by 18 depth, by 18 height (inches) is recommended, and bigger is ALWAYS better.

Regarding the nest. I would recommend placing the nest, in a corner of the cage, not on the door. If it's on the door, they will be disturbed every time you open the door, and will not breed for you.

As in regards to fruits and vegetables, I would offer orange once or twice a week. Green vegetables, they can have everyday. Some hardboiled egg, everyday for a breeding pair.

Here's a picture of some of my birds, to give you an idea....
Attachments
20150414_135803.jpg
20150319_095358.jpg
20151013_152015-1.jpg
1431713402762.jpg
1440210497486.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Bahadir
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Bahadir » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:24 pm

Merhaba Ahmet and Hi lovezebs;

After your answers, i am gonna to buy a larger cage. And i see it is really delicious salad and i will prepare for my birds too. I will do whatever they need for mating. Just i need your guidances and advices.

I wish health your chicks, best season for all breeders. Thanks for advices Friends.

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:03 pm

Bahadir
Welcome to the forum. Sounds to me a few things. If they canaries haven't been introduced before generally it take about 4 weeks for them to get used to their new home. because moving them into a new home can be stressful causing a molt regardless of the lighting.

Also Sounds like the male canary may be to young and or still trying to adjust. I suggest a bigger cage and or a breeding canary cage with a divider. When pairing canaries they need time to see if they like each other. usually 7 days right next to each other then you would observe feeding through the bars and the Hen starting to build a nest. When this happens it means she is conditioning herself to mate with a male. Sometimes a male bird wont sing when it is housed with other male birds, unless there in full condition to mate.

if you truly have a male and female give them some more time to adjust. this stuff just don't happen over night. I also am very impatient but am learning. this is my first year breeding canaries and I am logging each thing I do and try what works and what don't. that way I wont make the same mistakes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bahadir
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Bahadir » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:57 am

Hi Jamm972;

Thanks for useful comment. At the moment i have a male and a female. He is only one in the home. I just wait what will happen. Because i understood after i asked all friends, it is just up to time. I have to give them time and care. I hope i can success this process. It is looking complicated but also i think every healthy and safeful animals will show sexual and reproductive behaviors. As you said, patience.

All members guide me. I appreciate. Thanks.

Bahadir
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Bahadir » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:51 pm

Hi again,

I know, i am asking too many questions but i have a problem. Today i saw my birds fatten. Their cloaca's arounds are covered by fat tissue. Female is really fat and i can feel how it is fat when i take into my hand.

How can i fix their rations?
What do i have to do now?
Thanks.

Bahadir
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Bahadir » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:40 pm

Hello Everyone

After stresful and curious days, at the moment i am so happy because i have seen my canaries were mating. I dont know what wiil happen next. I just wanted to let you know here.

Can someone guide me what i have to do now?

Thanks.