Canaries and Finches

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Canaries and Finches

Post by Animalzoo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:47 am

Can you confirm I'll be ok putting a juvenile canary baby in with my zebra and society finches. This isn't permanent but the baby is weaned and I want him out of the same cage as his parents and in a larger flight for some exercise. Later when I can shuffled my other birds around I'm preparing a large flight cage specially for the canary babies. Will young male and female canaries be ok in the same cage?
Sue.x

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Re: Canaries and Finches

Post by Jamm972 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:44 am

I believe females with females will be ok. However males are more indipendent. If you observe excessive fighting you will have to remove the one that is causing the most trouble. Chances are it's a male fighting with another male. Both are being territorial. As far as the finches I'm not to sure. Should be ok, but keep in mind you'll want the juvenile to hear other canary songs or he will only pick up the finches song. I don't see it being an issue cause he is still young. But the sooner the better I'd get himy in his own cage where others like him will be.

This being a finch forum I'm sure you will get your question answered. ;)

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Animalzoo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Well I didn't hear from anyone about the finch compatibility so I put the baby in with them anyway but a male zebra immediately started to chase him. I put a divide to separate them in the end. Zebras are a pain in the backside to be honest so I'm not surprised.

I also looked up the hoohoo of the baby and I think it is a he. He's still in the bird room so he will be able to hear the other boys singing but long term like you say I'll have to have him learn song from youtube or something.
Sue.x

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:32 pm

I don't think I have to worry about song with my 3 chicks. All my males are singing crazy, as a matter of fact when I got home today it was the loudest I have ever hurd it. makes me believe that the males are in full condition now. Problem is not enough hens. lol