Rusty

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Rusty

Post by mohum » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:08 am

I have two canaries in my aviary with 13 finches. These were acquired with the aviary so I have no idea of their age or sex although they don't appear to be a pair. Anyway, I have just found Rusty dead on the floor although he was fine yesterday. I commented a few days ago that he looked thinner although they are usually fluffed up so it's difficult to tell. I am hoping it is just old age. The remaining canary looks fine and doesn't appear to have noticed. Can anyone tell me how long they live and would Billy be better in a cage on his own or in with the finches? It was fine when there was two but I could bring him inside as he likes company and doesn't interact with the finches.
1 cat, 1 cockatiel, 3 canaries, 9 zebra finches, 1 kakariki

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Rusty

Post by debbie276 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:06 am

Im so sorry for your loss :(
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:31 am

mohum from what I read and been told canaries can live anywhere from 4 to 12 years. it all depends on their diet exercise and how often they are bred. Breeding tends to do more stress and decreases the life span of hens. That's why diet and exercise is important. It allows them live a longer prosperous life

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by mohum » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:05 am

Thanks. The previous owner had the aviary for 10 years so she could have been 11years old. Her condition improved when I got her so she had a good send off.
1 cat, 1 cockatiel, 3 canaries, 9 zebra finches, 1 kakariki

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:11 am

mohum

Sorry to hear about your Canary.

I house Canaries with Finches, without any problems.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Sorry for your loss. Losing a bird can be tough, its no different than a loved one. Keep an eye on the other canary to see if it shows similar behaviors. or maybe take him to a bet to have him checked out.