Fostering

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Fostering

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:48 pm

Two days ago I found 2 natural nests, both built about the same time in bad spots. They were loosely constructed in some bushes in a secluded area of the walk-in designed for floor birds. My success rate is much higher in a selective breeding situation and past experience tells me that babies usually don't survive in natural nests like these so I pulled both nests and placed all 5 eggs with a pair of Societies already sitting steady.

So here are my questions:
Can Societies foster a larger canary?
If so, can a pair of Societies handle 5 at once?

Thanks,
Paul
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Fostering

Post by Sally » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:42 pm

Societies can certainly foster 5 babies at once, but the question will be whether or not they will feed canaries. Since canaries beg so differently, the Societies may or may not feed.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Chrismurdoch3
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Chrismurdoch3 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:45 pm

I have heard some stories of societies fostering canaries successfully but only time will tell if they will feed them for you
OWLS, GOULDIANS, SOCIETIES, AND FEW ZEBRAS

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:40 pm

OK,

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how my experiment goes in a few weeks. Just couldn't toss 5 good eggs.

Paul
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.