Fledging

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Fledging

Post by Jamm972 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:45 pm

So my baby canaries are either trying to fly or falling out of the nest. I have 2 babies at the bottom of the cage. the daddy is flying back and forth across the cage and I think he is teaching them how to fly. I'm just not sure if they are ready yet.

Should I leave them be or put them back up into the nest. Both parents are still feeding them regardless of where they are sitting/standing.

If I leave them where they are should I put a newspaper at the bottom of the cage floor so there legs and feet don't fall through the bars ? Any opinions will help

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Fledging

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:52 pm

Jamm972

I would place something under them. I really don't like those grates at the bottoms of cages, and always keep them covered with newspaper, or remove them all together where possible .

If the kids are still on the floor in the evening, I'd put them back in the nest for the night. If they pop out again tomorrow, then you can consider them fledged .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:02 pm

Lovezebs One of the babies, has come out of the nest 3 times, the 2nd one today is the first day. And yeah I'm going to put paper at the bottom when I can. I can't remove the crate it's part of the cage if I try taking it apart the whole cage comes apart. :(

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:35 pm

Jamm972

I know that there are a lot of cages with the grate built it. What I do, is cover it with newspaper, which makes cleaning a breeze, just turf the messy paper and replace with clean.

Reg. the kids, if one has already popped out three times. Then I would say he's fledged, and there is no need to replace him in the nest.

If the parents are feeding, then all should be well.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:40 pm

I'm sure there are a lot of different ways to manage the fledge but soon after the babies jump, I check for mites and pull the nest using terry cloth on the floor of the breeder cage for these first few days of fledge. In the next few days when the babies can perch themselves, I transfer the mom and babies to a weaner cage where I can observe the babies being fed by mom but also hungry enough to start eating on their own. When they find the water, start eating soft food and start working on seed, I return mom to her now sterilized apartment for a second round. Babies are set free in an open flight when they clearly know how to find food and water - and crack seed. The weaner cage is big enough to accommodate several families at once. The dads get a break in the open flight while all this is going on. In fact most of my dads get to hit the open flight when the moms start to sit steady. Really exceptional dads get to date another hen at that point.
For me the main reason for a weaner cage is to insure that the babies are past the "thrive" point before they get to go to the open flight.
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:54 pm

Lovezebs all 3 birds have fledged. One of them I had to gove a little help. he was milking it in the nest. He is now with his other 2 siblings. I removed the old nest because I wanted to make the cage a little cleaner in prep for Whiteys next clutch.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:12 pm

Jamm972 & Paul

Glad to hear that all babies have fledged, and are doing well.

Personally, I allow chicks to stay in the nest until they're ready to leave on their own, but whatever works for you.

I keep parents together with kids in a family group. I have found my Luciano, to be a better feeder, and a more attentive parent. He would be busy looking after the kids, feeding, caring for, singing to them, etc. while Mom would be laying her next clutch and incubating the eggs. Even now, with his mate gone (passed away), Luciano, still keeps the family together ( minus one son) and they have a very close relationship.
~Elana~

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:09 pm

Lovezebs I to don't seperate the father from the mom.and babies. But I do let the mom have some resting time when she lays her second egg. She rests and daddy finishes up teaching the babies. As of right now the babies aren't wanting to be in the nest. So I won't seperate them until they start bugging and or begging the mother .

I didn't even want Whitey and Donald to go.for another clutch but this was there own decision. They were tearing apart the old nest removing nesting material and putting it in the bowl I used for the egg food. It's rounded like a canary nest. That's why I gave them the 2nd nest. They used the new nest instead of the food bowl. I removed the old nest because it was all soiled with fecal matter from mom and the babies. And didn't want them recycling the material causing an invite for creepy critters.

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:09 pm

Next year will be so much easier. Gives me time to make the adjustments better and routine. Going to set up a better artificial lighting system. I was going to build an Aviary but for the first year I'm just going to use 2, big aviary cages and keep the confirmed males in their own solo cages.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:37 pm

Jamm972

Something you will have to watch for carefully is male/male aggression.

Unless all your kids stay together from hatching onwards, your boys will begin getting aggressive with one another once they mature . Adult males can have fairly serious battles, so you'll have to keep an eye on these boys, and be prepared to separate them if they get too combative.

I have one of Luciano's sons, that I have to keep in a different flight from the rest of the family. He was challenging his brothers, then challenged his dad, and was in danger of getting the beating of his life.

Just something to be aware of.
~Elana~

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:10 am

lovezebs yes I understand. this being my first year I will be watching any bird aggression. My issue will be trying to figure out if they are male or female. I was told that sometimes males will even fight with females. As of right now it looks like I have 1 male, and 2 female chicks based off from their behavior. The one that is taking on his dad's crest seems to be male.
After this year I'm going to separate my good birds from my pet birds. Pet birds are birds I don't plan on breeding, but would like to keep as pets, unless they are persistent then I may consider breeding.

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:43 am

lovezebs Quick question. The babies have fledged but are now hogging the moms newly built nest? Any advice? do I let them sit on the nest with her , I just don't want them to soil it when she starts to lay the new eggs. Or do I put in the divider and mom and dad feed them through the bars ?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:54 am

Jamm972

That's odd. Once mine were out of the nest, they showed no real interest in going back.

Personally, I would block off the nest, or remove it, untill the babies are more comfortable out of the nest. This will allow the parents time to concentrate on feeding and raising the kids for a while.
~Elana~

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:15 am

lovezebs well there standing on the edge of the new nest not sitting in it. So not really sure, I did remove their old nest because it was to soiled and wanted to keep it clean. I'm going to sleep on it for now and tomorrow if there still trying to hang on the nest I'm going to put the divider in. I was hoping she would have started laying her eggs. Once she has 2 eggs I c an seperate daddy and keep him with the babies.

I'd remove the new nest but The mom and dad are being persistant. They were pulling stuff from the old nest and building a new one in the food dish, so that's why I gave her a fresh nest with fresh nesting material. They were hard up for nesting material.they would reach between the bars and tear up the paper towels I use to line the tray.