Why did he stop?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Why did he stop?

Post by dunker817 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:43 pm

My male canary has not been singing for a couple of months now. They don't seem to be engaged in mating and he is not molting. What other reason would disturb his song? I really miss the house being filled with his song.
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Antone France

BigBear0007
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Why did he stop?

Post by BigBear0007 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:52 pm

Is he alone in his cage or do you have him with a hen?
If he is with another bird ? Move him to a cage of his own and put him in another nice sunny room. As long he can hear the other bird but not see them? He should start singing again? And play some nice music, that gets mine going!

Jerry

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:05 pm

dunker817
There could be a few reasons why he stopped singing.

1. He is molting, males wont sing when they molt. molting usually last I believe for 30 days.

2. He is housed with another canary or bird. If the Male is not in condition and is with a hen and she is not conditioned the male wont sing.

3. Your canary might need a check up, look for signs of him being sick, poor appetite, hanging on the bottom of the cage, anything out of the ordinary that you haven't seen him do before he stopped singing.

4. He just isn't wanting to sing. this could be because you moved him to a different location and he isn't comfortable where he is at. He Is afraid it will attract unwanted attention from a predator of some sort.

That's all I have from what I learned this year so far. hope this helps.

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:36 pm

Jerry and Jamm972,

Thank you for the information. He is in a finch room with several other finch pairs and his mate. It's been longer than 30 days so I don't think he is molting. He spends a lot of time in the tree I have in the room. He's not as active at he once was so I will watch him and see if I need to take him to the avian vet.
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Antone France

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:16 pm

dunker817 keep us posted

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:25 pm

dunker817

Hi Layne,

What's going on with your boy?

As others have already mentioned, most males won't sing when they're molting. So the question is, is he molting? How is the feather situation on the floor around the area where he likes to perch? Do you have little fluffies all over the room?

Birds, can get stuck in molt, which can cause him to stop singing for a prolonged period of time.

Can you elaborate on his diet a bit?

Have you offered a warm lamp, close to the area where he likes to perch? Baths?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~