Sudden onset of death

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Sudden onset of death

Post by Jamm972 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:56 pm

So I have a room of canaries. One of my canaries who I call Brownie died today suddenly no sign of sickness. I recently put him in his/her own cage aproximently 2 weeks ago. Today I was showing my 2 friends the babies. 1 minute Brownie was hopping around the cage and about a minute later I look and he/she was keeled over at the bottom of the cage.

Should I be concerned about my other birds? I'm just a lost for words because there were no signs of sickness.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Sudden onset of death

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:05 am

Jamm972

So sorry.

I would think he might have run into something and broke his neck . Personally that's what I have attributed these sudden unexplained deaths to., when a seemingly healthy active bird, just drops dead for no apparent reason.

Again, sorry for your loss.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:44 pm

thanks lovezebs It happens in the breeding process. Somethings are explained and other things aren't. this year Brownie he/she just wasn't into mating at all. Animalzoo mentioned that birds have a good way of hiding stuff until they want to show that their sick. It cold have been something genetic or inside that we cant see and can only be scientifically explained. All my other birds seem fine. I am going to disinfect the cage just in case before re using it.
It just hit home a little because brownie and Tails were the ones that got me into wanting to breed this year.

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:10 am

Animalzoo I started a post here about when Brownie passed away. Maybe you can upload the pic of Jill here and see if anybody might have had a similer experience with their birds? I'm still a little in shock here myself. :(