What is wrong with my canary?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
tnhhair
Pip
Pip

What is wrong with my canary?

Post by tnhhair » Mon May 09, 2016 5:23 pm

I bought Patches from a local breeder and I know he was around other canaries. I have had him for about 4 weeks and he sang and chirped and hopped around his cage for the first two weeks. Now he no longer sings and spends most of the day laying in his food dish. He comes out a few times and acts fine but just comes out for water, preening, tail bobbing and a few laps around the cage. I don't know what is wrong with him. I've played canary songs and chirps and put a mirror up to see if he was lonely. Any advice?

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: What is wrong with my canary?

Post by Sheather » Tue May 10, 2016 12:13 am

It sounds like he is a singing female, which is not unusual, and wants to nest.
~Dylan

~~~

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by mohum » Tue May 10, 2016 3:27 am

Perhaps it is just that there is no one to sing to. Maybe get a 2nd bird? My kakariki used to sing but then decided to learn our language so he had someone to talk to. He never sang again after starting to talk which was sad.
1 cat, 1 cockatiel, 3 canaries, 9 zebra finches, 1 kakariki

adoumski
Mature
Mature

Post by adoumski » Tue May 10, 2016 6:17 am

tnhhair are you seeing any feathers in his cage? Because if he is molting, he will stop singing.

Being lethargic is also sign of sickness, You should check his droppings if they are normal and his stomach (if it looks good and even in colour with a fat layer, then its a good sign)
Adam
Officially nicknamed Radagast by my family =))

Canaries: norwich, borders, glosters, lizzards, timbrados,
red factor, fifes
Stewy a Pied Cockatiel Male

tnhhair
Pip
Pip

Post by tnhhair » Tue May 10, 2016 8:30 am

adoumski wrote: tnhhair are you seeing any feathers in his cage? Because if he is molting, he will stop singing.

Being lethargic is also sign of sickness, You should check his droppings if they are normal and his stomach (if it looks good and even in colour with a fat layer, then its a good sign)
No feathers, and droppings are fine, eats good. Thanks

tnhhair
Pip
Pip

Post by tnhhair » Tue May 10, 2016 8:36 am

Sheather wrote: It sounds like he is a singing female, which is not unusual, and wants to nest.
I think you may be right. Will she sing again after nesting? She/he is about 9 months to a year old. No eggs yet and it's been about 12 days acting like this.

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Tue May 10, 2016 8:47 am

tnhhair

I'm with Dylan...are you sure it's not a female?
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Tue May 10, 2016 9:43 am

I am not experienced at all with birds but my canary was sold to me as a male but think it is a female.was not doing good in quartine at all,but now that she is with my societies,she followed them to all the feeders and bath water and I know they sing when there by themselves but maybe if the females like to be around other birds,since I added a pair of bleu's my canary snuggles with them on the perch all the time
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

BigBear0007
Weaning
Weaning

Post by BigBear0007 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:53 pm

Check the vent snd blow on the feathers, look at the belly and vent. If it's swollen, it's a hen and needs a male.
I had one that sang almost as good as her brother, until she laid an egg. It happens quite often especially if she hears her father and other males sing. It also means if she is her her sons will be great singers!

Jerry

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Sat May 14, 2016 1:55 am

tnhhair have you tried adding a nest and some nesting material to see if he/she will build a nest in it?

tnhhair
Pip
Pip

Post by tnhhair » Sat May 14, 2016 8:25 am

Jamm972 wrote: tnhhair have you tried adding a nest and some nesting material to see if he/she will build a nest in it?
I did add a nest and material but she/he prefers the food dish. LOL

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:30 pm

tnhhair Well once a female canary makes up her mind there is no changing it. You can try a few things from here on out. First would be put her in a new cage with a different set up and a clean nest and nesting material. 2. allow her to keep the nest in the food dish and give her food in something else. until she is done wanting to nest. 3. put up multiple nests. Take out the current food dish she prefers leave it out but put food in a bowl for the time being until she is willing to nest in a regular nest.

Hope this helps. Chances are she is thinking she will be on her own and raise the chicks on her own and that's why she is choosing the food dish so she can eat wile she nests. This usually occus with new inexperienced canaries.

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Mon May 16, 2016 11:22 am

BigBear0007

Does this look like a swollen vent? My canary, who at the moment is name Glenn, sings, but three days ago I saw what looked like a broken egg on the bottom on the cage, and the vent was wet. I'm thinking about doing genetic testing just to make sure.
Attachments
20160510_184540.jpg
20160510_184234.jpg
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

tnhhair
Pip
Pip

Post by tnhhair » Mon May 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Jamm972 wrote: tnhhair Well once a female canary makes up her mind there is no changing it. You can try a few things from here on out. First would be put her in a new cage with a different set up and a clean nest and nesting material. 2. allow her to keep the nest in the food dish and give her food in something else. until she is done wanting to nest. 3. put up multiple nests. Take out the current food dish she prefers leave it out but put food in a bowl for the time being until she is willing to nest in a regular nest.

Hope this helps. Chances are she is thinking she will be on her own and raise the chicks on her own and that's why she is choosing the food dish so she can eat wile she nests. This usually occus with new inexperienced canaries.
Thank you soooo much. It just happens that I am getting a new cage in a couple days (bigger) so the timing of your advice is perfect!

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:32 pm

slwatson that looks definitely like a female to me. A male will have more of a torpedo shape in that location :0) Id put my money on it that He is a She from the pic you provided.