Wet Wings

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Wet Wings

Post by zebsoc » Fri May 13, 2016 6:15 pm

Hi I posted earlier regarding my canary but am now sure that

My canary, Sweetie, Can't fly Only after bathing.

(Day after bought she took a bath in enclosed cage and couldn't fly and acted like wings were injured - tho within couple hrs was fine - been in small cage resting per vet instructions
plus couple days in larger cage flying fine now)

She was flying fine also today.
She had been enjoying flying around this afternoon and its warm today.
I put a Open bath in her cage. She took a quick dip and went back to flying.
Then she came back and took a good deep soak and couldn't fly any more. She wobbled and hopped and that was it.
Slowly she is getting her flying back. But not while wet.

Is this normal?
My society and zebra finches have no trouble flying after bathing.

Are canary wings not able to handle a deep soak?

Or maybe she was injured prior to my getting her or has some genetic defect?

After about 40-60 minutes she is flying fine again.

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Re: Wet Wings

Post by Jamm972 » Sat May 14, 2016 2:07 am

zebsoc Hmm sounds like its a mystery. Although water is a little heavier, it shouldn't interfere with her flying capabilities. Is she shaking stretching her wings after the deep bathe? Maybe she has a tender spot on the wing for when it gets wet she avoids flying until it dry's.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Sat May 14, 2016 2:27 pm

Jamm972 - thank you for your help.
I'm not fully sure, but I don't think she does shake out the water after she gets really wet, she sort of bunches/scrunches up.
You could be right something is tender. One wing does seem to drop a little when wet, but otherwise no sign of drooping when sitting or flying when dry.
She acts like a totally different bird when she's wet.

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:33 pm

zebsoc Just be patient and observe her. if its working for her I'm sure it will be fine.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Mon May 16, 2016 4:42 am

Jamm972 - moving her into the cage with the society and male zebra seems to have helped take her mind off her sibling. She does still off and on sit by the mirror as if she were next to another canary.

I was tempting to get her sibling but until I know what is wrong with her and most importantly if she's going to be ok, I don't want a sibling that could have the same problem/illness as her. Especially when she cost almost 3x what a canary would cost in the city I used to live in, and this is a small town hit hard by the recession which I now live in.
Also I feared that since its been 2 weeks I might get her sibling only to find they don't care to be together any more.
I feel sorry more for the sibling that is still at the store stuck in a tiny display case now all by herself. But I can't save them all no matter how bad i feel for them.

I have 4 society, 1 young male zebra, and the canary in the double wide flight cage and so far they are doing well together.

I am giving calcium and vitamins, I had skipped a day afraid to give too much, but she did seem livelier today so I'm going to give daily. I think they all could use it.