Home Remedy Mite treatments for home

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Home Remedy Mite treatments for home

Post by Jamm972 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Hello friends, Does anybody know of any home remedies that work to treat the home for mites of all types? Usually specific to birds. I know there is scat to use on and treat the birds and a spray you can use on the cages, but what can you use in the home in a rugged area, and other areas that have fabric and stuff?
This is my first year breeding canaries, 1 of my adult canaries i have had for about a year is showing signs if scaly feet. What made me inspect them is people in the household has been saying they are getting minor bites mostly at night when they sleep. This seems to be happening mostly in the old room where the canaries were once housed 2 weeks back.

Any advice and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to use scat for each bird, and spray down the cages with Mite Spray. I just need to know what other remedies are used for the house itself to prevent biting and reinfestation.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Home Remedy Mite treatments for home

Post by Sheather » Fri May 20, 2016 6:53 pm

Minor bites on people sounds more like the red bird mite than the scaly leg mite.

I had a very minor appearance of red mites a few years ago in a canary nest. I used Avian Insect Liquidator. It killed them in one treatment.
~Dylan

~~~

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:54 pm

Sheather Thanks your the 2nd person to suggest using that. Its ok to spray on rugs, beds base boards, and is pet friendly correct? I also have 2 cats and 2 dogs in the house. I have been vacuuming frequently to help a little but that can only do so much.

I am ording it as soon as my check comes in. I am currently treating the canaries with Scat as a preventative and treatment. did first treatment today because I found 2 canaries with scaly legs and feet.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat May 21, 2016 3:11 pm

let the areas dry before letting your pets back on the carpets, in the area.

To treat the birds you can also use ivermectin 1% from the feed store, you need a needle syringe to draw it up... one drop to the back of the bare neck for 3 doses, each dose a week apart from the last dose.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat May 21, 2016 3:13 pm

Scatt should be also done in 3 doses, they are finding that the one dose is not enough to break the cylce, our vet said 14 days apart for each dose of moxidectin.

~ My Facebook groups ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat May 21, 2016 3:15 pm

Scaly mites are not like feather mites they do not leave the body and travel like feather mites. Scaly mites live within the skin surface, passed by close contact such as in the nest. Birds can have scaly mites for 6 months to a year before you even see signs of it.

~ My Facebook groups ~

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:01 pm

thanks cindy is ivermectin the same thing as Scat ? I treated the flight cage with Scat on the birds, and used the pet store mite brand 1 spray on them and I sprayed down the cage.

Also is putting it on the back of the head the same as putting it on the Thigh ?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun May 22, 2016 1:24 am

Jamm972 Scatt does not contain ivermectin, its main ingredient is moxidectin. I follow the manufacturer's directions, which are to place a drop of Scatt on the thigh of the bird. There aren't a lot of feathers on the inside of the thigh, so the Scatt is absorbed into the skin better than on the back of the neck IMO.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org