Hes a she

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Hes a she

Post by mohum » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:53 pm

So I put nests back in the aviary for the zebras and my lone canary who I named Billy has laid an egg. She never showed any interest when I had two canaries so I assume they were both females. I have changed her name to Billie which looks more feminine. I now have a canary and a cockatiel both sitting on dud eggs and one less nest for the zebras.
1 cat, 1 cockatiel, 3 canaries, 9 zebra finches, 1 kakariki

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Re: Hes a she

Post by Jamm972 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:41 am

mohum if the canary and cockatiel dot have mates why are you letting them sit on eggs in a nest? I know this would be good practice but usually only if they have a male. You might be teaching them that laying eggs is ok to do even if they aren't breeding.

I would suggest that you remove the nest and eggs pushing the them to not build a nest and lay eggs. Its up to you though. If it wasn't so late in the season I would suggest finding a male o pair them up with but the molt is going to start in a few months so have to take that into consideration.

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by mohum » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:08 pm

The cockatiel has no nest. If I remove the eggs, she will lay more. I wish I could stop her but all hormone control has not worked. The canary has laid in a nest meant for the finches with whom she shares an aviary. This is a surprise to me as I assumed she was a male. The nests will be coming out again after a successful finch clutch.

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Animalzoo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:18 pm

mohum
Do you use open nests for the finches? Or the wicker type ones.....I use the small wooden nests with small round holes. That may stop your canary using them.
Sue.x

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by mohum » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:59 pm

Thanks for the sugestion. I used hole nests last time but because it is so warm at the moment, I tried open nests this time. I won't do that again.

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by mohum » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:59 pm

Thanks for the sugestion. I used hole nests last time but because it is so warm at the moment, I tried open nests this time. I won't do that again.