Plucked baby feathers

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Plucked baby feathers

Post by Jamm972 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:13 pm

So I have a question. I think I already know the answer to it but need reassurance. One of my canary pairs had 4 babies. When it came time to add a new nest I did so. The Hen built a new nest but a few days later I noticed one of the babies was fully plucked of all their feathers, and a little blood showing on their bare skin on the wings.

I added more nesting material thinking that the parents were plucking the weakest of the 4 babies because the other 3 babies were in perfect health and fully feathered. After adding the additional nesting material I removed the old nest separated the siblings and left the plucked baby with the parents. The parents are no longer plucking the baby, and are still feeding him/her. I think the baby was being bullied and the parents figured why not and took the feathers.

Anyways...what I'm asking is the baby is practically bald again. Will the feathers grown back and if so how long will it take and start to show. IS it like the baby is starting from scratch all over again?

The baby seems very healthy and strong but was just vulnerable because of the siblings bullying and wanting to be fed first. Now the plucked baby gets first dibs on feeding time :)

I just hope there is no scarring and the baldness is not permanent.

Please feel free to add your advice and or opinions. is what I did accurate and right?

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Re: Plucked baby feathers

Post by Animalzoo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:10 pm

Jamm972
Hi Chris, I have commented in our other post but to confirm I'd be confident those feathers will grow back. Same thing happened to a clutch of babies I had and they all grew well. The feathers will grow quick too so in a few weeks he or she will be looking much better. So long as the baby isn't still being picked on yeah leave it but to be sure move him/her in with the other babies to be fed through the bars.
Sue.x

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Re: Plucked baby feathers

Post by Jamm972 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:26 pm

thanks Animalzoo yeah I just read the post about it. I cant house the plucked baby with the siblings because they are bullies and always shove and push the plucked baby aside. and right now the baby cant really fight back. So far the baby is doing ok in the small corner of the cage and mom and dad feed em first before feeding the others because its closer and easier. The siblings are about to go into the flight cage in a few more days because they are eating seed already but not sure they can crack the shell just yet so will keep an eye on them for a few more days to see.