Pairing question

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Randomusername
Hatchling
Hatchling

Pairing question

Post by Randomusername » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:33 pm

I have a green hen. If I were to get a male, what color should I get? I'm assuming that a clear yellow would be the best choice? Can they live together or would it be best to get a cage with a divider? I'm currently looking at flight cages, if any of you lovelies have a preference I'd love to know.
Attachments
image.jpeg

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: Pairing question

Post by mohum » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:00 am

I have the same question as I have just discovered my lone(green) canary is female. I would also like to know how to recognise a male. I look forward to your replies. Sorry for gatecrashing your thread.
1 cat, 1 cockatiel, 3 canaries, 9 zebra finches, 1 kakariki

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:56 am

Go with whatever appeals to you. Either for his color or his song or both.
Yellow, green, white or reds -all same. Just be aware that the reds need to be color-fed during molts to attain the red feathers.

Some have said that pairs should live apart but my canaries share cage space perfectly peacefully. The bigger the cage the better.

Divided cages are typically what canary breeders recommend. Another benefit of dividers is the ability to separate birds for whatever reason.

Randomusername
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Randomusername » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:46 am

Ok. Good to know! I'd like to have them be able to stay together in one cage (and hopefully have room for a pair of owl finches). I'll guess I'll stay with my first thought and get a clear yellow American singer for little Gytha. Hopefully that will give me some pretty babies.

jonvill
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by jonvill » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:20 pm

If you breed a dominant white male canary to a green hen, you will have 50%variegated yellow and 50% variegated whites.