Sneezing canary

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
silverstar
Pip
Pip

Sneezing canary

Post by silverstar » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:01 pm

Hello everyone! I am a new member, but have been browsing these forums for quite a while. Anyways, I am the new owner of a male canary, and have had him for almost a month. Currently I am housing him with a female canary, and the pair get along great. I haven't noticed much singing, except in short bursts where he attempts to mate with the female!

Last night was the first time I noticed the symptoms. There was some quick sneezing, but then normal for the rest of the night. Once I uncovered them this morning, I heard more sneezing, a few at a time, then maybe more a while later. I have inspected him closely, and have confirmed there is no nasal discharge. He is still very active, eating and trolling as usual. My main thought is that it could be air sac mites, so I ordered some Scatt to try out soon. I'm planning to treat both birds, as they share the cage and often feed each other.

Usually my first thought would be to see a vet, though the closest avian vet is 30 minutes away, and due to transportation issues, I wouldn't be able to stop by until Monday or Tuesday. If the symptoms don't clear up a few days after treatment, I have every intention of taking him in for an exam. Luckily, he still seems very well, but I'll be sure to monitor him. If you have any additional recommendations, that would be great. I have found the sticky on air sac mites, and the symptoms appear to match an early case. Wish us luck!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Sneezing canary

Post by Sally » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:18 pm

silverstar

Respiratory problems can also appear to be air sac mites, though canaries are one of the species more susceptible to air sac mites. I'll move this topic to the All Things Canary forum, so that other canary owners may see it and be able to help you.

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, though most of the articles there apply to finches rather than canaries. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier to answer questions later on.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

silverstar
Pip
Pip

Post by silverstar » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:59 pm

Thank you for your reply. I'm aware that it could turn out to be another issue, although since I can also use Scatt for preventative measures, it will be good to have on hand. If I don't see an improvement, I'll be sure to get him checked out.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:22 am

I don't keep a lot of meds on hand, but Scatt is one that I do. I treat all new birds with Scatt during quarantine.

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:23 pm

silverstar Sounds like you are taking the proper steps. The symptoms you explain sound like air sac mite. After treating the canaries you should start to see an improvement within 10 days as their body starts to absorb the dead mites and or they sneeze out the dead ones. If within 30 days and after their 2nd treatment you see no improvements I would seek out an aviary vet to see if it is something else. If they have babies they can possibly pass along a sickness to their young. Just keep them on a good diet, and observe and treat. and go from their.

Keep us posted on the outcome please.

silverstar
Pip
Pip

Post by silverstar » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi everyone! Soon after I posted, I realized it was the other bird that had been sneezing. I applied the medicine to both birds when it arrived. I didn't notice any improbent within a few days, so took them to the vet last Thursday. The female was diagnosed with a respiratory infection, as some congestion could be heard up close, and no mites visible.

I received an oral antibiotic, and instructions to dose both birds for 30 days. So far, she has shown great progress, and stopped sneezing over the weekend. I no longer hear any congestion, and she hadn't been sleeping extra. Looks like she will make a great recovery!

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:37 pm

silverstar Aww that's great news thanks for keeping us updated :)

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:06 pm

Very good news! Respiratory infections are often mistaken for air sac mites, so it is good you had an avian vet to make the proper diagnosis.