My new sad excuse of a Canary. :(

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: My new sad excuse of a Canary. :(

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:18 pm

lovezebs wrote: Maleficum

I will usually keep my egg food in the fridge no longer than two days. My kids prefer their eggs fresh, but will eat them a second day if they don't have a choice.

As in regards to green fly , I have never heard of them. What are they?

This poor little guy only eats Canary seed, because that's probably the only thing he was ever given. Try a little piece of spray millet. Most birds find it irresistible. When he gets a taste for it, mix a bit of egg in with it.

Let me know how it goes.
Hi Elana,

Green and black fly are very small micro flies known as aphids, you'd normally find loads of them on stinging nettles, roses and runner beans etc, the sought of fly that gardeners and vegetable growers would detest :roll:

When I used to breed high std exhibition chaffinches I used to have an abundance of these flies in me avaires as this is what the young are predominantly reared on for the first few days of their life's until they can start to manage pinkies and mini mealworms,

I used to actually plant the avaires thick with thawnless roses and runner beans and the birds made their nest amongst the vegetation aswell :mrgreen:

Maleficum
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Maleficum » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:29 pm

lovezebs
No new pictures yet.

@"Stuart whiting"
Thank you! He/she bathe every day now.
Deviantart <-- Drawings, Photos, Porcelain painting.

Instagram <-- Follow my blind rabbit on Instagram.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:57 pm

Maleficum wrote: lovezebs
No new pictures yet.

@"Stuart whiting"
Thank you! He/she bathe every day now.
Excellent mate,

It won't happen over night but if yer canary is bathing and with a good seed and egg food diet with just a splash of green stuff mixed in you should hopefully start to see some improvement :D

Maleficum
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Maleficum » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:28 am

New picture from today! Much more alert and curious than when she/he came home to me.

Maleficum
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Maleficum » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:07 pm

Sadly he/she very fast became very ill during the night and died this morning :(

But in a few weeks I probably be able to take home the four other canaries from the same place and hopefully they aren't to sic yet.

Maleficum
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Maleficum » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:44 am

A little (late) update (we had problem with the internet connection this summer and haven't had time to update until now). Manage to get two of the other birds from the same place this summer (called them Gabriel and Baltazar) and treated them with ivomec (started treating them in the middle of July). Baltazar had only lost a few feathers in the neck and recovered quickly and are new healthy an live with Malte and they really like each other. He sang from the start a very quiet sounding song (it sounds like he sits in another room when singing).
Gabriel had lost a few more feathers and he had very watery poop. Ha got better at first and started chirping a bit (but never singing) and his poop started to look better (after changing his diet) but sadly he also got really sic again really fast and past away during one night :(

I only hope the two remaining birds that are still with the original owner are doing better and I hope he let Baltazar stay here.