To grit or not to grit?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Randomusername
Hatchling
Hatchling

To grit or not to grit?

Post by Randomusername » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:49 pm

I've done tons of research and I haven't really gotten a definite answer. As of right now, I don't feed my bird grit. She gets good quality seed, a piece of millet spray once or twice a week, a little fresh veggies and fruit almost every day (she's a devil for apples and celery!), a bit of mashed hard boiled egg a couple times a week, and a mineral block and cuttlebone (although I rarely see her go after either). Is this sufficient? Obviously, I want little Gytha Ogg to have a long, happy, healthy life! Does she need vitamin or other supplements if she gets a good varied diet? And what's the deal with charcoal. I can see giving it to a sick bird, but why would it be fed as part of a birds regular diet?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: To grit or not to grit?

Post by Sally » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:37 pm

Finches don't need actual grit, as they hull their seed before eating. Bird species that don't hull the seed, but eat it whole instead, need grit to grind up the seed.

When people talk about grit with finches, they usually mean a mineral mix, which finches do need. They need a source of calcium, which you are supplying. I add charcoal to my mineral mix, just a personal preference. Many birds have been observed visiting fire sites in the wild, eating some of the charcoal left from the fires.

If your birds get a full and varied diet, which you have listed, then vitamin supplements aren't really necessary, though some give them anyway. I do add a vitamin supplement to my egg food mix.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Randomusername
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Randomusername » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:18 pm

Where do you buy mineral mix? Or can i just grate the mineral block?

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:27 pm

Randomusername With my canaries I add a small amount of grit to their seed mix. They don't need a lot and will take in what they feel is needed and the rest gets discharged when I fill the seed again in a few days. Another option is you have a small plate with grit on it and they will take it when they feel it is necessary but having a plat on the cage floor can get messy and look off and is not good décor.

If its affordable just add it to the seed in small amounts they will know where it is and take it in as needed. But if your feeding them multiple kinds of greens and fruits as well as a good vitamin diet I'm sure they can do with or without it. But wont hurt to ask an Aviary vet to be sure.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:33 pm

Sally wrote: Finches don't need actual grit, as they hull their seed before eating. Bird species that don't hull the seed, but eat it whole instead, need grit to grind up the seed.

When people talk about grit with finches, they usually mean a mineral mix, which finches do need. They need a source of calcium, which you are supplying. I add charcoal to my mineral mix, just a personal preference. Many birds have been observed visiting fire sites in the wild, eating some of the charcoal left from the fires.

If your birds get a full and varied diet, which you have listed, then vitamin supplements aren't really necessary, though some give them anyway. I do add a vitamin supplement to my egg food mix.
Quite agree, very true and wise words :D

I personally have always given fine oyster shell grit to all of me birds including the finches, they obviously don't consume loads of it but they certainly do pic through it and take a certain amount and definitely doesn't do them any harm,

What ever else the finches have eaten especially if outside in an open flight so to speak the grit would surely help to grind up any other food matter in the birds gizzard as it goes through the digestive system,

Canaries should be fed grit as even though they do hull certain seeds they do swallow some seeds whole which is why I've always played safe and fed it to all of me seed eaters, basically if they want it, it's there :mrgreen:

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:37 am

I think this is a vocabulary problem.

'grit' is small pieces of actual stone, granite in our area. As Sally said, it is for birds that eat whole seeds without hulling them. Chickens, turkeys, pigeons and the like.

'mineral mix' is shells plus other minerals. It isn't for grinding seeds in the bird's gizzard, because the pieces are mostly soluble. 'Mineral mix' is nutrition, to supply calcium, magnesium, etc.

Unfortunately, lots of writers use these two terms in a confusing way.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:13 am

Dave wrote: I think this is a vocabulary problem.

'grit' is small pieces of actual stone, granite in our area. As Sally said, it is for birds that eat whole seeds without hulling them. Chickens, turkeys, pigeons and the like.

'mineral mix' is shells plus other minerals. It isn't for grinding seeds in the bird's gizzard, because the pieces are mostly soluble. 'Mineral mix' is nutrition, to supply calcium, magnesium, etc.

Unfortunately, lots of writers use these two terms in a confusing way.
Sorry mate but here in the uk and probably throughout the rest of Europe you'll find that what we all call mineral grit is as you say small mineralised stone / grit and is used to grind up food matters in the birds gizzard,

The same also applies to fine oyster shell , the birds would use it for exactly the same reason, only difference being that it is a shell and is full of calcium which when consumed by the birds will help to strengthen bone tissue and prevent eggs from getting soft shell,

Certainly any experienced canary fancier that I've ever known in the last 30 odd years of bird keeping have all used mineral grit or oyster shell for the very reasons mentioned above including my self and in fact have seen my own green finches consume a fair bit of the stuff :mrgreen:

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Here is an article that explains why finches don't need 'grit' but can benefit from soluble minerals:

http://www.finchinfo.com/diet/grit_is_not_necessary.php
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:38 am

Sally wrote: Here is an article that explains why finches don't need 'grit' but can benefit from soluble minerals:

http://www.finchinfo.com/diet/grit_is_not_necessary.php
Very interesting Sally,

For a good number of years many of us here in England and even Europe as far as I'm aware of have always used a type of grit to Ade with digestion,

I personally haven't really used much of the mineral grit myself but I've used loads of oyster shell,

We've always been under the influence for many years that most seed eaters require some form of grit wheather it was mineral or oyster shell and I've always played safe,

Just goes to show that doesn't matter how long any of us have bred and exhibited birds for " and I've done it all my life " that where never to old to learne something new and I certainly have as of today after just reading the informative article on the finch info site :D

Big massive thanks to Sally for bringing my attention to this =D>

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:28 pm

Randomusername

Regarding Bird Grit.

Some people confuse Bird Grit and Bird Gravel (even at the Pet Shops).

I personally buy Bird Grit, empty the box into a large container, then grate a mineral block, a portion of an iodine block and cuttle bone into it. I also add some bird charcoal into the mix, along with crushed egg shells. I give it a good stir, and offer small amounts of this mixture on the flight floors.

All of my birds, from tiny Waxbills to Gouldians and Canaries love it.

Regarding Vitamins.

I do add a drop or two of water soluble Vitamins to drinking water twice a week.

A diet rich in vegetables, greens, some fruit, my hard boiled eggs food, and a good seed mix keeps the kids in good condition and looking great.
Attachments
1451181885827.jpg
20160304_130043-1.jpg
20160304_130552.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:42 pm

lovezebs wrote: Randomusername

Regarding Bird Grit.

Some people confuse Bird Grit and Bird Gravel (even at the Pet Shops).

I personally buy Bird Grit, empty the box into a large container, then grate a mineral block, a portion of an iodine block and cuttle bone into it. I also add some bird charcoal into the mix, along with crushed egg shells. I give it a good stir, and offer small amounts of this mixture on the flight floors.

All of my birds, from tiny Waxbills to Gouldians and Canaries love it.

Regarding Vitamins.

I do add a drop or two of water soluble Vitamins to drinking water twice a week.

A diet rich in vegetables, greens, some fruit, my hard boiled eggs food, and a good seed mix keeps the kids in good condition and looking great.
Hi Elana,

As a champion exhibitor looking at your Gouldians they look very nice birds and are in tip top condition :mrgreen: