A friend for my canary

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Randomusername
Hatchling
Hatchling

A friend for my canary

Post by Randomusername » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:55 pm

I was at petsmart the other day and they had the saddest looking little society finches! I was soooo tempted to buy a couple to keep my canary hen company! There was also a very pretty, lonely looking Fife hen. I actually talked to the manager to try to get him to drop the price on the canary. She's been there forever!!! I know I eventually want more birds. Im shopping for a nice big flight cage (32x18x32 is what I'm thinking about getting). I'm not opposed to having a couple of clutches either as Im pretty sure I can find homes for them. But what to get? A male canary for my hen or a pair of finches? Or just keep her alone? I know when I take her cage outside she gets all wound up listening to the other birds!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: A friend for my canary

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:43 pm

Randomusername

Your Canary hen, would do well with Society finches.

Another Canary hen, may cause some territorial problems.

I wouldn't introduce a male, unless you plan on breeding.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Randomusername
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Randomusername » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:57 pm

I really want to liberate some of those poor petsmart finches!! One poor guy had had half his tail pecked off!!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Randomusername

I'm sure they would appreciate going to a good home, a large cage and a good diet.

Just a bit of information about Societies and their tails :D . Society finches will drop their tails very easily, and grow them back just as easily (without any apparent discomfort ).

I've had on several occasions remained with a handful of Society tail feathers, when trying to catch a Society (the first time I almost had a heart attack ). They look like a baby chicken for a couple of weeks, then the tail grows back.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Zebrafincher
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by Zebrafincher » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:43 am

Cananries get on well with other finches. I had a very old (and grumpy) Kevin the Canary (14 years old) and he loved being around the other finches.

Take her home. She''ll be better for it.

Kind Regards

Zebrafincher

Proud Owner of
*”Merl” Merlin – Starfinch – Very old starfinch, can’t fly, has deep relationship with own reflection!
*Beaky “Beakster” – Gray Zebbie, Bossy Boots, into everything. Naughty little Boy!
*Itchy – “The Flying Golfball” – White Zebbie, Sweet little Boy!

Jamm972
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Jamm972 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:30 pm

Randomusername If your canary is a hen you should be ok adding society finches but if its a male canary it may prefer to be solo in his own cage and become territorial.

Randomusername
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Randomusername » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:08 pm

Omg! Good to know about societies tail feathers! :shock: